IDEAL E type CF 80N gas valve problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from a replacement circulating pump and a thermocouple many moons ago this boiler has performed exceptionally for the past 30 years, until last night.After the heating failed to come on this morning my investigations lead me to suspect that the gas valve has failed. I have 240v at the +ve terminal but no gas flow.
My local merchant has told me a new valve is available from Ideal for some £150.00. Before I go down that road are there any tests I can do on the solenoid to check its' performance ? Is there a drawing available of this valve ?

Sponsored Links
why dont you get the person you will get to replace it to confirm the fault for you?

Get a Gas Safe Registered Engineer in,if it is the valve you already know the approximate price plus labour.

Sponsored Links
Better to put your £150 towards a new efficient boiler.

You are wasting about £40 of every £100 spent on gas.

Thanks to all for the replies.The coil is open circuit so my dilemma now is replace valve or replace boiler.
According to the rating plate on this boiler an input of 110,000btu gives some 80,000btu output. My maths make that 73% efficient. With modern condensing boilers offering say 93% is it too simplistic to expect a 20% saving in gas consumption ?

73%,,,very very optomistic. Many newer cast iron heat exchangers which are much smaller are well below 70%. "E" type Mmmm cut and run is the only realistic advice.

Google SEDBUK - you'll see equivalents of "average driving" economy.

OP, you have 2 choices.

1) As many say, change the boiler. But, do not expect new super duper mega efficient boiler to match 30, 15 or even 7.5 years of flawless operation your present boiler lump has given you. If your new boiler does not break down within the first two years, you should go to the church and thank the lord that you have been graced with a worthy appliance.

When the boiler does break down, you then have the privilege to call in someone whose skill level may be two extremes. If you are again grace with lady luck, you will get an engineer who will fix your shiny white lemon for it to start 'steaming' away at 95% efficiency. Here comes the sting in the tail- the bill. What you will have saved 95% less the lowly efficiency% figure of ideal E type workhorse will unlikely cover the cost of parts let alone the labour charge. Nor will it save the planet as your new boiler will often need parts that the makers are hellbent on making a killing (it is not uncommon for a £25.00 fan to be supplied to the heating engineer for £200 or more), and many visits from your friendly engineer.

2) Get the boiler fixed. Upgrade controls (fit TRVs and programmable room thermostat). Upgrade cylinder. Zone the house. Insulate house. Get to know boilers from forums such as this. This will give you time to walk to the finishing line that will ultimately be the boiler change when present cannot be fixed as many parts are now obsolete. You are lucky in this instance with the gas valve.

If you do decide to change the boiler, do not look at the final figure to see who is the cheapest, but ask for quotes or estimates with installers supplying the same make and model and same specification of work carried out. System cleaning is very important as is correct use of materials.

150 quid seems a bit dear is it a valve with a grey push button or red and white buttons

Can't u just get the solonoid? I would fix this boiler even being not as efficient you will save money ,as other reply upgrade your system & insulate your house to todays standards, probably this boiler would out live a new one,

If your new boiler does not break down within the first two years, you should go to the church and thank the Lord that you have been graced with a worthy appliance.

And if it did break down within two years does he go to the devil?

No, if it breaks down, he sprinkles it with holy water and everything will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back