Ideal Elan 2 Boiler - Case seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post on here, what a great forum it is!

We've just had our gas boiler (Ideal Elan 2) serviced by British Gas Homecare, and they have condemned it due to the combustion case seal not providing a sufficient seal.

The engineer did the 'match test' all the way round the boiler and it was blowing (leaking) slightly at the bottom.

He then checked for CO in that area and it registered 18 parts per million. Apparently the 'Room safe' limit is 10 parts per million.

So, has has had to cap off the boiler and told us we need a new one, because the part (a new seal) is no longer available (obsolete).

Being a resourceful type I'd like to try and source a replacement seal - either a pattern part or alternative seal which is known to do the required job.

Could anyone provide any help / advice? Clearly safety is my prime concern so we may end up with a new boiler - but I'd like to explore the options first, as long as it doesn't take too long.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
unfortunately the seal is obsolete,did you see it to see how badly it was damaged ?

Thanks for your reply. Miraculously I have managed to source a seal, from a Parts Center branch, they have one left on the shelf.

It is for an Elan 80NF, ours is the 60F but I've spoken to Ideal and they think it will fit as it is essentially the same case, just a more powerful heat exchanger.

I have a local firm coming on Monday to fit it, and they are prepared to use a universal seal if for some reason it is the wrong seal. They have done this with other Ideal Elans before.

So no thanks to British Gas, I have hopefully sorted this out myself and I'm picking up the part tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
i have heard of people using universal seals,but technically a wrong seal is still I.D and you should be prepared for the next service engineer to shut it down again if they notice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back