ideal elan casing seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anyone any ideas where i could get a replacement seal for the casing of my 1986 ideal Elan balanced flue boiler?
The original is beginning to fall apart now! Its just a kind of asbestos rope type thing so its probably possible to improvise?
Please dont do the usual reply when I ask about my reliable old boiler & suggest I replace it with a modern piece of crap that has a lifespan of 7 years (if Im lucky!) I know mine isnt as efficient but when you take into replacement/repair vs gas consumption, mine wins hands down!

Sponsored Links
You could try calling Ideal, but I believe the original seals are obsolete. Ideal may be able to recommend an alternative. Fitting the correct seal is vital for the safe operation of your boiler.

The case on that kind of boiler should not be removed by a DIYer.

The advice is to call an RGI who will know where to get the case seal and fit it.

Tony

We are not allowed by forum rules to give advice or encourage DIYers on gas/combustion issues.

In any case how could you demonstrate your competence to us? Have you passed ACS gas assessments?

Do you know what kind of case pressures your boiler has?

Tony

Sponsored Links
boiler is balanced flue? casing pressure? a clue in the type?
Why is it people do not actually read all of anyones posts? All you read was that I am not a paid up member of gas safe! As I already stated
( & please feel free to check this with HSE if you think Im making it up!)
I AM permitted to work on my own gas appliances if I am competent.
What you & many like you seem to be implying is unless youre Gas Safe ( or whatever its called this week!) membership is paid up to date then you are incompetent! How could a person be competent one day & if he did not renew his membership the next he would be incompetent?
FYI I have not only installed this boiler ( as I stated previously!) but have carried out any servicing & repairs over the past 25 odd years hence probably making me more familiar with it than many here!

I promised myself I wouldnt get into this pointless argument ( as I know its falls on deaf ears) as all I wanted to know was: did anyone know where i could obtain a said seal?
If you dont know, thats fine, no need to lecture me on your opinion of the laws of this country!

oh dear! here we go! This boiler is my own in my own home - I do not have to be registered I have to be competent -- That is what the LAW in UK says, not me - or you!

Might aswell just use blu tack then if its only YOUR house and only YOUR family that will die
Here's a link mate don't forget to thank me

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bostik-Blu-Tack-Handy/dp/B0001OZI70

Might need a couple of packs

;)

might be a brown case, depending on actual age of boiler, blue would not look pretty :p

yes those brown stains from the case seals never look pretty always good to have a can of white paint to hand

By any chance is the reason you fitted and carried out all your own repairs to your central heating down to you having such a sh!t attitude to people trying to help you? If I pulled up to carry out some work and you was spouting off like you are on ere I wouldn't even bother getting the tools out! If you are so familiar with your boiler and are competent you wouldn't need to ask such a basic question :rolleyes:

To keep it simple.

You can no longer get a genuine approved case seal for this boiler.

You're only chance is to get the part number for the original from Ideal and phone about the little independent parts stockists and ask them as the major ones will tell you the same as Ideal.

Ebay/Gumtree/Any other source that you find something advertised as a case seal for one of these I would strongly advise against. As there are a lot of fake cheap foreign rubbish spares floating about now that can and do fail or deteriorate at remarkable speeds once subjected to heat.

In keeping with practice I also would like to make the point that if you fitted and serviced it and repaired it safely all these years and are "competent" to do so, you would have probably been smart enough to have a spare couple of seals set aside, as anyone with a boiler like that would know it is a vital safety component with out which you need a new boiler (or a well fitted coffin) So I'm sorry but I agree with every one else here and advice you against it. There is a reason we need to pay a lot of money regularly to keep up to date with things.

Realistically, a good reliable new boiler from a decent manufacturer "can" when fitted and treated properly last 15+ years no bother, but most wont spend a few hundred extra quid outlay at the beginning to get a decent boiler fitted right.

@ scottishgasman l; thanks for the honest & helpful reply! Pity the rest were not like you!
BTW I did have several spares for the boiler but as I said its been fitted for 25 years or more now!
I also have had experience of modern boilers being condemned after 6 or 7 years by reg gas fitters who i get to inspect my rental properties ( Which btw, I always get to carry out all repairs & servicing & certification - AS PER THE LAW!

The problem is "100% Confidence" does not mean your right. And you've made it quite clear that your not prepared to listen to common sense.

Why don't you ask Ideal if such a "universal" seal is safe and approved for use on their boiler? - I think you know what the answer will be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back