Ideal Elan 2 Boiler - identification and parts availability?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has an Ideal Elan 2 in his house, fitted by previous owner around 1987 which has just stopped working and I'm trying to find out a bit more about it to decide if it's worth repairing.

It's a 40kBTU balanced flue model, so I think it must be an RS240. Does anyone know how I can confirm this?

Also, and views on spares availability would be appreciated. Are common spares readily available, still?

My suspicion (uninformed and perhaps optimistic) is that the pilot light blew out in recent very high winds and we know from previous experience that it's a bugger to re light, so I'm thinking that maybe the pilot burner, pietzo unit, electrode may all be candidates for replacement?

I know we'll have to replace it, but would prefer to make it through the winter and replace next summer if possible.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
None of those likely causes should be repaired by a DIYer.

They are all simple for a boiler engineer but it does show up that he has not bothered to get the boiler serviced every year.

Although old most of the parts are still available.

Unfortunately they are so reliable that people forget just how inefficient they are. The Government had a £400 scrappage scheme a few years ago which covered old boilers like that.

It would save about 25% on the gas bill to replace it with a modern boiler and a good make would cost about £1500 to have installed in most cases, even less for a budget brand.

Tony

Thanks Tony - that's great info.

You're right - he didn't have it serviced or put on a maintenance contract despite us telling him several times. Kids, eh? ;)

I'm not intending to DIY it - although I'm a good DIYer I know where to draw the line ;) The info is required so I can talk to a local plumber form a "position of knowledge", if you get my drift!

Any idea how I could positively ID it as an RS240? I can see no obvious markings.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back