Ideal icos HE15 leaking from heat exchange unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help. My son has a water leak on his boiler which is an Ideal Icos HE15. I have talen the front cover off and established that the leak is coming from the bottom of the heat exchanger unit on the left hand side. The side/casement of the boiler unit does not come off so i cannot get a screwdriver in to tighten the screws to hopefully secure the seal if this could be done at all. Is this something that can be fixed or is the problem terminal!!

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound good, but as you've removed the cover, I'd get a pro in to check that it's still safe to use. I've never been lucky enough to repair one by just tightening screws. Honestly, if the heat exchanger has failed, I'd fit a new boiler.

Thanks for the quick reply.The cover was just the front casement that had 4 screws to secure it that gives you access to the boiler itself so nothing disturbed. The boiler is still working but as i said its just dripping water from the bottom of it.

Sponsored Links
It's goosed, new boiler time. By removing the front case, you've disturbed a vital primary seal and should not use the boiler again until it's been checked, especially as water in the heat exchanger could cause it to produce carbon monoxide, which thanks to your fiddling can now escape into the room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back