ideal icos he18

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating my new house and although the boiler works fine there is an annoying noise eminating from it. It was installed a year ago for a family member who i'm buying the house from.

The noise is coming from the area pictured and sounds like a hot metal cooling down which then crackles/clicks. The crackling/clicking is a consistent noise and has a pattern to it and happens when the boiler is in stand by.

Does any one know what this might be, i know a few ideal installers frequent here so any help would be appreciated.

Once the boiler has cooled down with the built in fan shouldn't it be quiet?

Sponsored Links
That is not something that I have heard complaints of before.

You could try taking the front panel off and using a stick to listen to the different parts to try to identify whats producing the noise.

Are you sure its not the pipes underneath the boiler?

Tony

It's not really loud but is annoying. My current worcester boiler is silent and so is the rest of my families when they're in stand by which includes other ideals. The pipes aren't producing noise when in stand by. I put my ear right next to the point arrowed and it's definitely coming from there.

Almost sounds like one of those horstman economy 7 time switches for hot water cylinders if you know of them.

Its not something sparking, is it? These are prone to leaking within (see my earlier posts on the damn things).

Sponsored Links
No mate, it's ticking away like a ww2 bomb would. Deffo no sparking. Am i allowed to remove the front cover to locate the area more precisely. Is it easy to remove and put back?

yes just remove the front panel. then disconnect the control panel. (2 connectors) if this stops it then it's the control panel faulty.

Ok i'll try that. What is the warranty for this boiler? It was installed by warmfront but thankfully the engineer was very good, so was lucky there.

That is not something that I have heard complaints of before.

You could try taking the front panel off and using a stick to listen to the different parts to try to identify whats producing the noise.

Are you sure its not the pipes underneath the boiler?

Tony
A STICK :?:

Ok i'll try that. What is the warranty for this boiler? It was installed by warmfront but thankfully the engineer was very good, so was lucky there.

Warmsure warranty is 2 years.......

Ticking noise???

Damn strange - you sure theres no clock or watch left in there from engineer lolol

Seriously though - these dont have a pump over run so is nothing to do with boiler cooling down, Is the noise when its running?

I've heard the PCB/user control make a ticking on these. Can't figure out why but thought perhaps it was the warranty countdown timer.

It would make more sense if they all did it but it seems to be the odd one. Seems funny though, you rip out an old boiler that's kettling like mad, a rattly old pump, air racing round the system and a mechanical time clock. You fit new silent pump, rectify the air ingress, fit a silent digital clock, quiet boiler and the customer complains about a slight ticking coming from the boiler. (Not aimed at OP by the way).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back