Ideal Isar Boiler leaking slightly

Sponsored Links
Sounds like lack of serviceing caused a build up of oxide (or a poor condense line) CAUSING THE BOILER TO RETAIN WATER IN THE SUMP (THE LF FAULTS)!!!
This water will also eventually eat through the "red lead" mastic seal on the bottom and Im afraid if this has happened its a new hex.
Should have got it serviced properly as its a must on these!

Sham, not wanting to get into the Ideal disagreement posts as others still do, but I have had a total of 4 now that have leaked from this seal, and all have been serviced properly by me each year, so no way it was lack of service that caused the problem in my cases.

Right thank you guys for your advice.

The air vent seems absolutely fine, so i can't understand where the leak could be coming from.

Also I would like to add that I agree 100% with gas4u. This boiler has had a full service every year and its unbelievable that it's seal has already broken down so quickly.

Sponsored Links
This water will also eventually eat through the "red lead" mastic seal on the bottom and Im afraid if this has happened its a new hex.

I have changed about 10 heat exchangers that have been leaking condensate through the red mastic seal. Only one had condensate backed up into the sump.

On every one i have unscrewed the sump from the heat ex to have a look at the seal.

The problem is whoever is applying the seal is not doing it correctly. In some areas there is lots of sealant (good ;) ) in other areas,usually front right, there is little or no sealant (not good :evil: )

I call that a manufacturing fault.

the LF fault can also be caused by water leaking in to the white tube at the bottom of the case that runs to the gas valve. can clear the water out and it may work, sometimes will be intermittent and a rgi will need to fit a new gas valve on it

the seal failing even thought the boiler's been regularly serviced is simply because it's a poor design and it's impossible to check. there is no maintenance that can be done to that seal. it's just a badly made boiler.

The original poster said it was full of crud in the sump and had been full of water.
Any I have come across have either not been serviced properly or they have a slow run on the condense (or airlocked). I am not trying to defend them as such as they probably should be more robust.
I am only saying what I have found and TBH its good to get feedback (as long as its constructive as I can take it back to R&D and Quality) and let them know there is an issue or not.
The logic is different and has no seals on the hex at all its one piece.

I have the same boiler but I dont have this problem yet (fingers crossed I dont!). But if the seal does go has anyone tried to reseal it using some new sealant? It can't be much different to changing a head gasket on a car! You'd need to make sure the mating faces are as clean as possible and that theyre not warped.
I guess fitters would rather change the hex for new as it would come with 12 months warranty.

OP regardles, unless you are gas registered you have already gone too far on your own, as to remove that access to the sump breaks the casing seal.

You sure can't fit a new heat exchanger yourself.

You definately need one, at the very least.

So what I am saying to you is that rather than googling your problem, you are now faced with touch decisions.

Only two real options in my mind.

Ideal or someone else who will do you a fixed price repair, or new boiler.

Hi we are currently living on deck chairs after this boiler showed its common fault. It's when you turn the electric off to the boiler and the heat ex cools down. The gasket/sealant doesn't expand and the mains water pressure leaks out.
Our bathroom hot tap was dripping and causing it to call for hot water. We was away for 2 days so turned it off and come back to Kitchen & Room flooded out. Lost everything.
Council said we don't like these boilers turned off!!! what about power cuts??? wheres the sticker???
Boiler engineer turned up and said not another and had to order new pcb and other electrics.
I found out there was a retro fit kit for this boiler few years ago.
Where waiting for inspector to visit to cover us when it goes again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back