Two pc's so max 2000w,
Monitors, amps, router, circa 200w
Home server max 300w
PS4 and monitor max200w
Lamps 100w
Phone, tablet etc chargers, negligible
Hairdryer 2000w
Vacuum 800w

It's a single ring direct from the cu with no spurs, in a very simple loft conversion
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say, or allow to be assumed, would be the way you'd comply with Part P?

If you don't do what Building Control are expecting you to do then you could end up with problems over the completion certificate.

Sponsored Links
No mostly they reside about 400 each, but it's feasible for them to pull a 1000 each continuous, the trend though is for less wattage in general, however multi gpu optimisation is finally looking up with the onrush of 4K gaming so in the not so distant future tri and quad 1080 ti/vegas are a distinct possibility.

As regards part p and building control, nothing. they'll inspect at first fix and inspect and test at second fix,
I'm very sure should anything be amiss they'd not be shy about speaking up.

I'm not entirely decided about to do it myself because it incurs such a high cost above building control prices.
Ironically the loft already has power and lights on a radial circuit.

As regards part p and building control, nothing. they'll inspect at first fix and inspect and test at second fix,
Why would they do that if you hadn't told them what your route to assuring compliance with part P will be?

I'm very sure should anything be amiss they'd not be shy about speaking up.
Probably not, but that wouldn't be a good way, or a good time, to find out that something was amiss.

I'm not entirely decided about to do it myself because it incurs such a high cost above building control prices.
You said "they'll inspect at first fix and inspect and test at second fix". For free? Without knowing that they need to?

I'm not a policeman, personally IDGAT what you do, and I've little interest in doing any back-and-forth with you over this. Whether you want to say here or not is up to you, but I really do advise that you look at their website, look at what they assume in the absence of anything else, etc, and take on board the fact that if they are expecting A and you go and do B, the first time you find out that they are seriously unhappy with B might be when they refuse to give you a completion certificate.

That's cool, your not obliged to.
But in answer to your question, No not for free, it costs £255, its on top of the building control fee. Its specifically for people who are not registered as competent persons.
I.e. As I can't issue any certification to say what I've done is either safe or to the regulations, building control ( I presume they'll sub it out) will inspect, test and issue cert specifically for the electrical installation or they' say X y z isn't up to par and needs to be remedied before a cert will be issued. Much the same they would for a foundation.
That was the purpose of the cable routing question, I wouldn't want to route the cable in some way that was frowned upon to have to undo and redo.
The radial/ring question is interesting and I can (after lots of reading) see how it's a bit of a legacy design held over from a while ago.
One thing that does make sense is a damaged earth on a ring still offers a return earth.
Does anyone regularly put an earth flyer on a radial?

Last edited:
What's an 'earth flyer' when it's at home?

If you're talking about a lead to the back-box, and I think you might, where does the ring/radial relevance come into this?

From what I've gathered it's an earth going all the way back to the cu, or I suppose some other earth that's not part of the radial in question.

I presume you mean an additional conductor from the last socket on the radial back to the CU - in effect a ring.

Other than for specific circuits with high CPC (earth wire) currents, because of the equipment, it is not required.
This is called High Integrity Earthing.

You may fit one if you wish - but then the same could be said for installing two of everything just in case.

I was just wondering, it was something I read about elsewhere, pros and cons of radials/ring and the point about a damaged ring was made- going undetected because of the return redundancy but still earthed due to that Whereas a radial wouldn't be. There's quite a lot of debate on the subject Hard to tell who's point is more worthy.

pros and cons of radials/ring and the point about a damaged ring was made- going undetected because of the return redundancy but still earthed due to that Whereas a radial wouldn't be.
Yes, but that CPC redundancy is the only advantage and not the reason the ring was devised. You can fit an additional CPC to any circuit if you want.
It is a disadvantage with damaged live conductors.

There is definitely no need, supply-wise, for a ring to a loft.

No not for free, it costs £255, its on top of the building control fee. Its specifically for people who are not registered as competent persons.
Indeed.

You said that they're going to inspect and test, but then you said "I'm not entirely decided about to do it myself because it incurs such a high cost above building control prices."

And then you said

That was the purpose of the cable routing question, I wouldn't want to route the cable in some way that was frowned upon to have to undo and redo.
and asked other questions, all of which indicate that you are going to DIY.

You just seem a bit vague about just who really is going to do what, and how that fits with what Building Control are expecting, that's all.

As I can't issue any certification to say what I've done is either safe or to the regulations, building control ( I presume they'll sub it out) will inspect, test and issue cert specifically for the electrical installation
They'll do what they think they need to to satisfy themselves that the work complies with Part P. They won't issue an EIC.

I'm not vague, I'm just undecided, I can do it myself and pay the extra fee or I can pay an electrician.

I've not even calculated the cost for diy or got a professional quote for comparison yet.(well actually a ball park figure from the commercial electrician I employ at work, curiousity more than anything, c£800+vat)
This job isn't imminent and I like to have a good understanding before hand if what I'm going to do, shouldn't do and what I have to make choices about.

Yes, but that CPC redundancy is the only advantage and not the reason the ring was devised. You can fit an additional CPC to any circuit if you want.
It is a disadvantage with damaged live co

There is definitely no need, supply-wise, for a ring to a loft.
Thanks, you've convinced me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back