Ideal Logic+ Combi C: Anyone had issues with the boiler front case breaking often?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(or in general, is this so uncommon to happen, I didn't find information about this specific issue)

I have a Logic+ Combi C24 (installed by landlord) Boiler itself (less than 4 years old) works ok-ish, but had 3 parts replaced already, need to be careful with the plastic casing breaks VERY easily, and I would NOT recommend this boiler, by my experience.

First problem was: wireless thermostat stopped working after being switched off for a few months it summer. It was a known issue and they replaced (out of warranty because my landlord didn't provide the ‘Benchmark’ commissioning sheet or some document needed for the warranty), Fine, paid £125 (included a 36 month servicing warranty that I am not sure what's for) and they replaced the faulty Ideal-made control for a generic one, in that same visit the Ideal engineer noticed the case was cracked over the top left corner, next to the clip that holds the case. He said they would replace it, ordered one and came back one week later and replaced it at no cost (he didn't say a word about the boiler being a danger, maybe the crack wasn't able to produce leaks, maybe he knows it's all just BS)

Second problem: a certification engineer comes by for the yearly servicing and again the case was broken, exactly at the same place, this time fracture was bigger. He said because is a room sealed boiler would expend one of those "in danger" reports "use the boiler under your responsibility, you are in danger" and need to replace the cover, etc.

This was exactly one year after case being replaced. This time Ideal denied to replace it for free, but for a £325 charge (part costs £100 max. and takes about 5 minutes to replace):mad: Even if it's not my money, it ****es me off, because I am not sure what is the problem with the boiler or the plastic case, but Ideal and everyone else points that I have made something wrong, like opening myself or something, and now I have to inspect the case every now and then to make sure that if another crack shows, report it asap and take pics and worry about not being blamed.

To be fair, this time I kept the old casing and tried to break the other holder that still remains, and is REALLY strong, I can't understand why it broke, unless the case was faulty in the are of the broken holder. I am not an expert in plastics and resins, but caught my attention that the cracked piece as rimmed and zigzags all the way (I guess how it's supposed to be when a 3-4 mm thick plastic piece breaks, but, more or less in the middle, is straight and clean like cut with laser, like if that was already split from factory, or plastic not melted together, not sure how to explain it, but maybe is just irrelevant and I'm overthinking)

Anyway, not sure if I can do anything else, the boiler looks well fitted to the wall, the screws under it well placed, I can't understand why it broke twice, can vibrations make somehow the front panel case to unbalance, the screws to loose, a combination of all this make the holder displace and eventually break? I don't want this to happen a 3rd time....

About the vibrations,the boiler had a a problem, if the hot water tap was open 1/3 (low flow of water) the voiler started to make a loud humming sound, like if suddenly you had a lorry engine accelerating in the kitchen, that was before the first Ideal engineer visit, the same one where he replaced the wireless control and the first broken front panel... and the engineer serviced the boiler and said he replaced a valve. After that, that sound happened a few times, but much less often, and stopped at least 4 months ago.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back