Ideal material to cover existing, basin surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has a basin in his room that has a painted wood surround that is about 1m square. Over the years there has been a little water ingress and the wooden surface has bubbled a bit.
Rather than replace the whole surround I would like to take the basin out, sand the wood down and then cover it with a waterproof surface maybe 10mm or more thick and then reinsert the basin again.
Can anyone tell me if there is a waterproof material that I can use for this purpose? Obviously I would have lip at the front to cover the existing wood edge. thanks
PS I have thought of melamine counter but would be worried, even if well silconed, that water may make it way to the chipboard.

Sponsored Links
You could use acrylic or tempered glass - quite expensive
Or large tiles?

I'm trying vinyl wrap as a painting alternative. Amazing how many textured vinyls you can get even make it look like rusty steel or mirror finish.

Just a thought

Graeme

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back