Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had this boiler installed about 10 years ago and have it inspected every year by homeserve (or whoever Thames Water have at that time). Last year, the engineer said there was nothing wrong with it, that parts are still available for it, and that it should last for years. This year, they sent an engineer who didn't even look like an engineer or show me his details, I didnt really like the different colours in his hair either. He looked noticed that there had been some water drips in it although they had dried off sometime ago. He said that I need a new boiler, the flue will have to be moved (which means bricking up where the flue is at present). I said I couldnt afford a new boiler for a couple of years - oh that's fine, he said, it will last a couple of years more yet.
This boiler has never given me any trouble, works brilliantly and I think the water droplet marks may have been caused by the very cold winter we had last winter as I only need the boiler on every morning for about an hour. He said the whole job would be £3K+. Did he think that being a woman this news would frighten me? I've had a carbon dioxide sensor in the kitchen and its never gone off, so the boiler cant be that bad - can it?

Sponsored Links
It is getting on a bit but all the parts are still available.

I suspect that he was just fishing for a private job to do.

Unfortunately the recession encourages those who want to make a bit more money for themselves to hustle.

Tony

a new boiler if needed shouldn't cost £3k+ (a whole system maybe) going rate round here is about £2k for a decent combi and around £1.6K for system boiler.

Great, thanks Tony, I did think that at the time, but not knowing about boilers it did make me wonder.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Sponsored Links
Kevein, It will be a system-type boiler as I have the cold water tank in the attic and that's 3 floors away from the boiler. Combi's dont do well in this type of house as my neighbours found out to their cost.

its good to know you have a carbon dioxide monitor,just make sure you dont have too many gal pals round or you might just set it off!!!!!

its monoxide ya tool

wonder what else with your post reeks of FAIL

a quality and robust boiler ditch homeserve and get a decent local rgi to look after it ;)

i agree with everyone saying the guy is a crap engineer but the fact you didnt like his hair colour made me laugh, WTF has his hair got to do with him being good or bad, i appreciate tradesmen should present a professional image, but we need to take into account each persons taste and style, as long as there is nothing offensive worn or displayed give the guy a break.

Someone with hair like that wouldn't even get an interview with me for a job, regardless of how good an engineer he was.

It's all down to professionalism and the way the customer perceives this 'stranger' coming into their house.

As the majority of my customers are over 40, I know for a fact this would not go down very well with them and reflect badly on me :rolleyes:

we need to take into account each persons taste and style, as long as there is nothing offensive worn or displayed give the guy a break.

I had a neighbour in the Midlands who was on a gas course for unemployed people. He was interested in working with me as he needed to gain experience.

Even ignoring the fact that he was not yet qualified, he had rasta hair and I concluded that would not be appreciated by my customers as, whilst it can be accepted for a musician, its not whats expected of a gas engineer.

He had a 100% memory of everything he had learnt on his course, nothing I could think of testing him on disclosed any gaps in his knowledge. But he also thought that he was worth £138 a day whilst still training !

Tony

The bloke was over 40 yrs old, with red and blue striped hair, and he didn't check the outside flue until I mentioned it.
I cant go with anyone else as its Thames Water that use this company which apparently was on Watchdog as being useless recently which doesn't bode well. ;)

Unless people like you WRITE to Thames Water to say that you dont think that appearance is appropriate to a boiler engineer visiting customer's homes then they will remain unaware of the perceived problem.

I have to say that none of the many Thames Water people I have met have ever been anything other than smart and tidy. That includes those employed in their sewarge works too!

Tony

TW employ other companies to do this kind of work, so writing to them wont help much as the chaps are not employees of TW. This is the second company in the last couple of years they have taken on, so when we are due for a service, we just get a letter from that particular company. Shame all the blokes dont say the same thing. If I knew someone who lived locally who could give me an honest and reliable quote, then I would go with him, but I'm stuck by having to go with what these blokes say - aren't I?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back