ideal mexico HE boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello to you all

I have a conventional thorn boiler which refuses to breakdown, I have never called the boiler engineer. I am sure the boiler must be over 20 years old. Anyway my gas bill works out £120.00 per month, therefore feel that I have come to a stage in my life where i am going to have to force myself to replace the boiler.
I have come across the Ideal Mexico HE boiler which looks suitable.
I just wanted to know is it safe to purchase this boiler as it was manufactured in October 2008??? I have contacted customer service at Ideal boilers they have stated that the warranty on the boiler expired
1 year after the manufacture date. I was thinking that I could purchase the boiler and then take out a boiler breakdown cover with British Gas.
The boiler is cheap, boxed and comes complete with all the relevant paperwork. Do boilers have a shelf life before installation?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
The main consequence of manufacture date is the warrantee.

But I think you will find that boiler is a Band B which were not normally permitted to be installed after October 2010.

That may explain why its for sale cheap.

Its also less less efficient than the currently required Band A boilers.

Tony

Sponsored Links
They are BandA boilers with the similar alloy heat exch as the Icos/Isars and all the problems that go with them. It would not be my 1st choice.Have you considered that these have a condensate pump? Why not a wall mounted boiler?

Please could you tell me what a condensate pump is??, what is the best
wall mounted conventional (condensing boiler) on the market. A boiler which is reliable. Thanks

The condensate that HE boilers produce has to be removed to drain to waste.As Mexico HE boilers are floor standing they incorporate a pump to get rid of the condensate as water will not flow uphill.
A wall mounted boiler does not need a pump if the condensate pipe can be connected to a suitable point lower than the boiler.
I'm a fan of Vaillant boilers,but you may be bombarded with other recommendations.

wall mounted conventional (condensing boiler) on the market. A boiler which is reliable. Thanks

I have a Worcester Ri in my own house & have fitted quite a few Baxi Solo's, both are reliable & band A.
At the end of the day it's down to personal choice so make a note of what's on offer & do your homework before buying.

I have a Worcester Ri in my own house & have fitted quite a few Baxi Solo's, both are reliable & band A.
At the end of the day it's down to personal choice so make a note of what's on offer & do your homework before buying.

I did wish to stay with the floor standing boiler as it seems less work
changing to a wall boiler e.g will have to find tiling for the floor to match existing if they still exist. Please read my first email and tell me your thoughts.Thanks

Floor standing boilers are like hens teeth. I've done a few renewals with wall mounted boilers fitted under worktops where floor standers used to be, they are a total PITA to do but can be done as long as you can stick to the top & bottom clearances.
As for the tiles you can make some sort of boxing in around the bottom of the boiler to hide it & remove it to gain access for servicing etc.
As for buying a 3 year old "new" boiler, would you accept a new car that's been stored for that long?

I don't recall any other floor standing Band A boilers.(There may be one or two). I could not recommend a Mexico HE. Ask yourself why its 2 years old and still not sold?
What type of system is your Thorn boiler serving? If its gravity hot water then you will need a fully pumped conversion as its not suitable for gravity.

I would not touch a Mexico HE with a 10ft barge pole!! they are every bit as good as the ICOS/ISAR on which they are based...just don't go there! :eek:

I don't recall any other floor standing Band A boilers.(There may be one or two). I could not recommend a Mexico HE. Ask yourself why its 2 years old and still not sold?
What type of system is your Thorn boiler serving? If its gravity hot water then you will need a fully pumped conversion as its not suitable for gravity.

I have done a some homework and decided to go with the Viessmann Vitoden 100 compact 26kw Wall mounted, heat only I cannot locate how many btu it has, would you happen to know?? or the vaillant ecotec 428 conventional condensing boiler still need help to choose.

My boiler system is an open vented system.

you guys are so helpful !!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Floor standing boilers are like hens teeth. I've done a few renewals with wall mounted boilers fitted under worktops where floor standers used to be, they are a total PITA to do but can be done as long as you can stick to the top & bottom clearances.
As for the tiles you can make some sort of boxing in around the bottom of the boiler to hide it & remove it to gain access for servicing etc.
As for buying a 3 year old "new" boiler, would you accept a new car that's been stored for that long?

I have now decide to go with the viessman vitoden 100w compact 26kw or the vaillant ecotec 428 conventional condensing boiler, which boiler would you pick?? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I would not touch a Mexico HE with a 10ft barge pole!! they are every bit as good as the ICOS/ISAR on which they are based...just don't go there! :eek:

I have now decided to go with the viessmann vitoden 100 compact 26kw heat only or vaillant ecotec 428 conventional condensing boiler, which boiler would you pick????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back