Ideal Mexico Super 3 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Mexico Super 3 RS60, no fancy valve system hence we can have water on by itself of both water and c/heating (not c/heating only).Of late when we turn both on the water will come on but not the c/heating - is something on its way out. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
There will be a pump. Find where it is!

This is probably jammed. See the FAQ for trying to free it up or replace it.

Check first that its getting power, or its warm or that its buzzing!

Tony

As suggested, find your pump (may well be inside boiler casing) and see if its working.

Sponsored Links
45yearsagasman";p="2601827 said:
As suggested, find your pump (may well be inside boiler casing) and see if its working.[/quote

I am not an expert on this so my next question may seem daft, what does the pump look like? the only pump that I know about is the pump that is external to the boiler with a pipe going in at one end and out the other and that is working as there is hot water. Is there an internal one?

In your original post you described a gravity system with pumped CH and no zone valves. That pump is your CH pump and the hot water does not depend on it working. The CH however does. Have you tested it to make sure its rotating? See the FAQ's. Do you really not know what a pump looks like?
Post a pic of boiler and pump if you know how.

In your original post you described a gravity system with pumped CH and no zone valves. That pump is your CH pump and the hot water does not depend on it working. The CH however does. Have you tested it to make sure its rotating? See the FAQ's. Do you really not know what a pump looks like?
Post a pic of boiler and pump if you know how.

Sorry for my lack of understanding but I wasnt sure if another pump was included internally - here are images of my pump and boiler

Prise off the black plastic knob and using a spanner loosen the hex screw that you will see. Turn it anti clockwise and pull it towards you to engage the motor. turn on the heating and see if the nut rotates. If not, either the pump is seized or motor has failed. You can rotate the nut and it may release a stuck pump. If you get it to turn then providing your system is full of water, the heating should now work. While doing this a little water will escape from the screw, but this is normal and is easily contained.

If its any help the burners dont fire up as they do when it does actually work

yes it does help as it happens
forget about checking the pump for now then,
you likely have a programmer fault, any more pics of your system?

Matt

If its any help the burners dont fire up as they do when it does actually work

yes it does help as it happens
forget about checking the pump for now then,
you likely have a programmer fault, any more pics of your system?

Matt

I have taken the black screw cover off and run the pump up - it works. So the issue is why does the C/H come on sometimes but not others?
As you have mentioned the programmer I have a bit more info here - when I put the water on with the heating via the programmer I have always had to go into the garage and switch the power off to the programmer and back on again before the boiler will turn both the water and heating on. I dont have to do this when I put the water only on!

Hi Geoff
Firstly I notice that at the moment the central heating is set to permanently "off",you do realise this I hope,
To check the programmers set up ok keep pressing the HW button until its screen indicator (the black square on right of screen) is at the off position
now press the CH button and move its screen indicator (the one furthest right) to any other position and confirm that the previously moved hotwater indicator moves with it
if it doesn't then either the programmer has not been set up correctly, is faulty or you are not on a gravity hot water/pumped CH as you presume

Matt

Hi Geoff
Firstly I notice that at the moment the central heating is set to permanently "off",you do realise this I hope,
To check the programmers set up ok keep pressing the HW button until its screen indicator (the black square on right of screen) is at the off position
now press the CH button and move its screen indicator (the one furthest right) to any other position and confirm that the previously moved hotwater indicator moves with it
if it doesn't then either the programmer has not been set up correctly, is faulty or you are not on a gravity hot water/pumped CH as you presume

Matt

Yes Matt I did realise that the C/H was on the off position at the time of taking the pic. I have followed your instructions and the HW does not move from the off position when I toggle the CH tab in any random position. I am with you on the fact that the programmer has probably not been set up correctly as I stated earlier I have always had to go into the garage and remove the power to the programmer and then put the poser back on then the CH wouls come on with the HW!! - strange.

IIRC there is a link in the back of the programmer that needs to be removed for gravity HW/pumped CH. (Factory set for fully pumped system). Isolate power before removing or replacing programmer and check the link is removed. Unsure if this would cause the fault but doubtful it'll help provided your system isnt fully pumped!

IIRC there is a link in the back of the programmer that needs to be removed for gravity HW/pumped CH. (Factory set for fully pumped system). Isolate power before removing or replacing programmer and check the link is removed. Unsure if this would cause the fault but doubtful it'll help provided your system isnt fully pumped!

I removed the link and now the HW tab follows the CH tab which makes sense as the CH works the water also. Now the situation is that the CH will not work - the pump does not kick in when both the HW and the CH are selected.
I think whoever wired it up probably got it wrong!

I removed the link and now the HW tab follows the CH tab which makes sense as the CH works the water also. Now the situation is that the CH will not work - the pump does not kick in when both the HW and the CH are selected.
I think whoever wired it up probably got it wrong!

If the pump WAS working prior to taking out the link then try resetting the programmer
I can't recall how to do that and too busy at the moment to look up the manual for you but I think on these you have to hold in a couple of the buttons for a few seconds, someone will no doubt pop up with the answer for you if you haven't got a manual

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back