ideal resonse 120 won't ignite...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im a gas safe registered service engineer and got called to a friends' Ideal Response 120 (btw have only encoutered a couple of these in the past). The problem was described as 'intermittent hot water...havent tried heating cos its summer'.

After opening it up and checking the usuals on both heating and hot water (gas/fan/ignition/pressure etc), it wouldnt light at all...it did attempt to, the fan was running fine, gas supply fine etc but just kept cycling until the 10th(ish) attempt and would lock out.

I dropped the burner out to see if the heat exchanger was leaking but it felt dry...although there were a couple of tell-tale signs of water marks/rust on the burner retaining screws.

Could the heat-exchanger have a leak that is fast enough to let the ignition get wet, but slow enough to dry out/disappear before it drips out?

or is there something else im missing/can try?

I know these are rubbish boilers.

Sponsored Links
I am glad that the Mad Mod has deleted all those replies of which mine was just one. No gas work advice should ever be given on an open forum.

The OP is a registered gas engineer and thus qualified to post in the restricted CC section of the forum where all trade questions should be asked and where we can freely give gas related advice.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back