Ideal Response 120 - Burner problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wondered if anyone has any bright ideas as the guy who has been working on my boiler and me have run out of ideas!!

I have an Ideal Response 120 boiler (about 4 years old) and the burner will not come on. We have already replaced a part (sorry don't know the name but is 2 pronged and a connnection had sheared off) but despite intially working we have no hot water or heating.

Help!! :(

Sponsored Links
Is "the guy" Corgi regd? If not, get someone who is. If so, he should be able to work through the manual to get a bit closer than he seems to have done. What does the fault finding chart point to??

Sounds like the ignition electrodes! Did he have to remove the fan to access it?

One of the most common faults with this model is water leaking into the combustion chamber. That will cause no or intermittent ignition. Its usually obvious from moisture or drips when you remove the electrodes.

He needs to check for a spark by running with the electrodes withdrawn.

But we should not be telling him how to fix boilers, he should posess the required skills to do his job!

Has the boiler had the manufacturer's overheat stat modification fitted during the last year?

Tony

Thanks for your responses - I am getting him back in so will check these points with him.

I can confirm that the manufacturer's overheat stat modification has not been fitted - should it have been??

Sponsored Links
The flue overheat stat must be fitted in case the flue baffle has deteriorated causing excessively high flue gases

The boilers were found, rather late after several years, to be liable to seriously overheat.

The manufacturers contacted all those owners whose boilers had been professionally fitted and had been registered with Ideal. In addition they contacted all CORGI people to ask for details of any boilers which had not been modified!

You should get it done when (if) its gets repaired.

Tony

Thanks for this info - my boiler was fitted as a favour by a friend about 4 years ago. Not so sure it was such a favour now!

I would check the ignition unit, quite often sounds ok but makes no spark.

If you drop the front panel can you see an orange glowing light?

Agile said:
In addition they contacted all CORGI people to ask for details of any boilers which had not been modified!

Tony

Not me they haven't...

Do the demand lghts come on at the right time closely followed by the fan running light?

Me niether and I fitted loads of the heaps

mind you think they have all been replaced now

:)

Are you know to Ideal?

Have you been on a Response course for example?

Didn't Vaillant contact you about their boiler seals as well?

Tony

Agile said:
Are you know to Ideal?

Have you been on a Response course for example?

Didn't Vaillant contact you about their boiler seals as well?

Tony

We are very well known to ideal

I did get the vaillant thing

regular problem on these crates is the heat exchanger failing get your guy to take out fan then burner then feel inside, right at the top of the chamber run his fingers round. if his hands find black slurry its new H/ex time.
also check electrodes whilst burner is out for cracking on the ceramic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back