Ideal response 120 Saga - Hopefully Final Installment

Did you ever check the resistance of the DHW sensor?

Actually NONE of the things you have found are unusual at all.

You need to make up a check list to ensure you check them!

EXV pressure

PRV leaking

Sensor resistances

DHW flow switch

All everyday problems and nothing strange or unusual.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agreed - routine stuff on one of these. Also remove flow restrictor and change AAV.
All the bits come out easily with the right tools, even the prv and dhw flow sw.
Major pita is waiting for the boiler to drain. If it takes ages, boiler likely to be sludgy. Pump up EV while you're waiting.

I would say that 99% of the jobs you go to are rountine and easy!!!!

If you have worked on one before then it is half the battle. I say i would never work on one again but that probably isnt true because i have had most of it apart not anyway so it no problem.

And again i would have been badly lost without this forum. Thanks again for putting up with my sometimes cringeworthy questions but through perserverance comes knowledge.

Out of curiosity how long have you guys been working on boilers? Do you have a set rountine for servicing for example??

G

grill said:
Well you will all be glad to know the saga is over.

And yet again you were right. Pulled out the LP switch and the port was blocked solid with rubbish. Had to use a screw driver to dig the rubbish out to clear a hole to allow the water through.

And teh b****y PRV!!! Who designs a system that you ahve to take the pump out to change a PRV!!! Mental. Managed it without taking the pump out anyway but very awkward.

Still i suppose liek everything else it was learning curve. Shame i will never get to use it again as i wont be going back near one of these ever!!!

Thansk again people.

G

The problem you had could be similar to countless other boiler models. You never checked some fundamental points. Vessel charge pressure for one. Did the PRV need changing? It appears it opened because of high pressure - doing its job.

The Response does not have a 3-way valve, and your diagnostics should have told that there would have been DHW when CH is on as the heat exchanger is a tube in tube design.

First you should have sorted out the pressure and vessel problem (fundamental) and then it would have indicated a LP or flow switch problem

Sponsored Links
DD,

As i said before i have learnt a lot from this job and will bring it onto the next job. Im only starting out on my own so still cutting my teeth.

I changed teh PRV because it opened when it should have but wouldn't close again i.e. it kept leaking.

I know now there isnt any divertor valve and yes this explains why there is hot water when the ch is on.

I don't mean to start crying here but im trying my best, ON MY OWN, so go easy on me!!! We were all wet behind the ears at some stage!!

Onwards and upwards

G

grill said:
DD,

As i said before i have learnt a lot from this job and will bring it onto the next job. Im only starting out on my own so still cutting my teeth.

I changed teh PRV because it opened when it should have but wouldn't close again i.e. it kept leaking.

I know now there isnt any divertor valve and yes this explains why there is hot water when the ch is on.

I don't mean to start crying here but im trying my best, ON MY OWN, so go easy on me!!! We were all wet behind the ears at some stage!!

Onwards and upwards

G

No problems, ask the questions and learn from the combined experience. However there are certain things that need checking first on any boiler. These you need to learn and do first.

You were blaming the Response boiler as a problem boiler never to be looked at again. This is not a problem boiler as it is quite simple to others. The problem appears to be that some heat exchangers fail prematurely. If no heat X problems then the rest is just like any other boiler, but simpler and the components are easy enough to get at.

One poster here said he had a Response ripped out when it was clear the thing could have been easily and cheaply repaired. It is this crass unprofessionalism that gets up the backs of the conscientious, and this gives everyone a bad name - besides ripping off the customer.

BTW, the PRV probably had crud on the seating Sometimes this can be dislodged by having the filler loop on and open the PRV for a while.

Cheers for that mate. I know at times i seem incompetent with soem of my posts but no matter what happens i alwaysd leave everything safe and double check it. And i always go back until it is sorted. Im only doing this in the evenings at present as im a design engineer during the day but i want to move into this full time.

Tried that trick with teh filling loop but no joy hence changing the PRV.

Cheers again

G

Unbelievable,

Had the guy who owns that Ideal response back on teh phone again on Saturday. Say the boiler wasn't holding the pressure and he had to keep topping up. So i called round and let myself in with my new key, stuck my finger on the schrader valve on the EV and got a face full of water!!!

Have ordered a new one up at a cost of £117 quid. When this is fitted we will be up to £180 in parts plus £50 for the original service. He is now starting to make noises about not having to pay for all the parts as the boiler was working fine before i touched it.

Any advice on how to handle a situtaion like this??

Cheers

Sean

Unbelievable,

Had the guy who owns that Ideal response back on teh phone again on Saturday. Say the boiler wasn't holding the pressure and he had to keep topping up. So i called round and let myself in with my new key, stuck my finger on the schrader valve on the EV and got a face full of water!!!

Have ordered a new one up at a cost of £117 quid. When this is fitted we will be up to £180 in parts plus £50 for the original service. He is now starting to make noises about not having to pay for all the parts as the boiler was working fine before i touched it.

Any advice on how to handle a situtaion like this??

Cheers

Sean

Sometimes when an aspect is repaired it highlights another weak spot.

I connected an old oil boiler to a thermal store. The store runs at 75C, so the boiler stat was run to up max. A few days later the boiler stat kept locking out on overheat. The stat was kaput. As it was never over No. 3 all of its 15 year life this overheat problem never arose. The boiler should run comfortably at max, which the makers recommend anyway.

The owners knew we did not touch the boiler, yet in their small mentality could not see that the stat was kaput. It happened after we did work so it must be our fault.

It is best to inform the customer that there may be knock on affects after you fix one problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back