Ideal standard classic boiler not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The boiler is firing up and you can see the flame through the little peep hole but no hot water or heating, we have a storage tank upstairs. Anything I can check before I give up on the old girl please?

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is firing, where is the heat going?
Or is the boiler firing for a very short time?
Maybe have a look at the pump, or check for a blockage in the pipework near the pump, where the cold feed from header tank enters the system.

Hi,

The boiler is firing up and you can see the flame through the little peep hole but no hot water or heating, we have a storage tank upstairs. Anything I can check before I give up on the old girl please?

Is there a pump, is the pump running? Are you sure the flame is the burner flame, rather than a pilot flame?

It seems to be firing up for a while then off again, I was away this week so the missus was in control of the Hive which she had set wrong, I have corrected that now, will it take a while to fill the tank again.

Sponsored Links
Check the motorised valve(s). As said, heat must be going somewhere.

Evening, think I have found the issue, there is a plastic pipe outside on the neighbours ginnel side which is trickling water out. Looks like the water tank is overflowing into this pipe (doing what it’s there for) now there is a toilet like ball cock in there which must be where the fault is, is this a fix I can attempt please?

Evening, think I have found the issue, there is a plastic pipe outside on the neighbours ginnel side which is trickling water out. Looks like the water tank is overflowing into this pipe (doing what it’s there for) now there is a toilet like ball cock in there which must be where the fault is, is this a fix I can attempt please?

Yep, just fit a new valve and float, I always also instal and isolation valve, in the pipe feeding the valve - whilst I am there. It make it easy to get the water back on. Make sure it is overflowing due to water going in via that valve, first.

Is this in a small tank in the loft?

what Is causing it to overflow?

it might be the valve not shutting off or it might be water being blown up the expansion pipe into the tank

I can't see how a faulty ball cock would stop your boiler working.

This is the hot water tank in the airing cupboard, it has a lid on and it’s where my hot water is stored

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back