Identify odd socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's an odd socket situated above the fireplace in our living room. The house was built in the 1950s and I'm interested in knowing what the socket would have been used for. I'm going to get out the multimeter to identify which electrical circuit it's connected before it is removed for good.

I've included three photos. The socket is fitted with a 1 amp fuse. Does anyone recognise what it would have been used for?

Thanks,
Nick

Sponsored Links
that is a 2 amp socket. Most often used for an electric clock but also can be used for lamps on the mantlepiece.

Yup, concur. As it's above a fireplace, it most likely would have been used for an electric clock.

Back in the good old days, electric clocks were very common. Now they're mostly battery.

They used those sockets for clocks in schools, hospitals and other public buildings too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back