Identify this Fitting / Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a new house approx 1950s build. I found the following on the skirting board. Any idea what it is? I was just planning to put a blanking plate over it unless there something more useful I could do with it?

Sponsored Links
It's an old clock point, used for connecting electric clocks!

Can you tell what material the wire feeding this is insulated with? Does it feel like a modern plastic or an old rubber insulation?

Sponsored Links
How completely random, never heard of that before.

The cable looks new although theres no earth, just red and black cable. Would this be on the mains circuit?

You would need to investigate further to prove power is still present. Don't rule it out, they are still available to purchase!
An approved voltage indicator would be helpful, to determine this!

Thanks for the info guys, ill get the voltage tester on it to see if its live and then probably tidy it up with a new fitting. Although I think ill stick to putting batteries in my clocks...

Don't panic, i used my tongue which has proved very effective in the past and there was no tingling, so I don't think theres a current.... or maybe i used my fluke t90..... ;)

Its possibly via a light switch, being on the skirting board, id quess more likely for a table lamp rather than a clock

I remember a very similar device being used in my dads house until about 10 years ago being used as an FCU. It was fed from the sockets and fed the lights for the room.

It was almost identical except the outlet for the flex, and it had two sets of terminals for supply and load connections. The thumb screw and removable fuse carrier were the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back