Identifying underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bought our house three years ago, apparently we have underfloor heating that is disconnected (?) but the only evidence of this so far is a wall switch in the kitchen that does nothing.

We might need to rip up the tiles that are where the previous owner said the heating was, I'm presuming its UFH cables properly installed.

There is nothing written on the consumer unit, I am not that lucky.

How can I confirm any of this? Without ripping up a tile with a live wire detector in one hand and a prayer in another.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
UFH requires a wall mounted controller or thermostat at the very least - it would not have a simple on/off switch.

Either there are UFH cables in the floor which inexplicably were never connected to anything
or more likely - there is no UFH.

In any case if it's not connected, cutting into it won't do anything.

Bought our house three years ago, apparently we have underfloor heating that is disconnected (?)
"Disconnected" because it broke (what a surprise), probably.

I'm presuming its UFH cables properly installed.
If it had been properly installed there would be an Electrical Installation Certificate for it, and, depending on when it was installed, possibly a Building Regulations completion certificate.

If this/these don't exist, then don't assume it was properly installed, instead assume some incompetent cowboy did it and wonder why you didn't use the lack of the appropriate documentation to beat the seller down on price.

There is nothing written on the consumer unit, I am not that lucky.
Not a good indication that it was properly installed.

Sponsored Links
"Disconnected" because it broke (what a surprise), probably.

I installed WarmUp UFH in a customer's ensuite in April 2005 and it is still going strong.

I told them it would not be the room-warming miracle some would have them believe, but they enjoy the fact it takes the chill off their ageing leg ends.

Just jinxed it now, haven't I?:(

I don't think anybody here has ever claimed that it won't warm the surface of the floor.

Horses for courses, I have removed a few systems and installed a few, one couple I do regular work for love theirs and would not be without it (2002)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back