Identifying wires on chandelier fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife in her wisdom recently bought a 2nd hand chandelier off gumtree. When I had a look at it, it looks like the bracket is missing. There are three wires, one of which has been cut short for some reason (see photo). Two of the wires look to have a white line running along them and one (the cut short one) has a green line - will this be the neutral? Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 280
Sponsored Links
You would expect the green marked cable to be the earth (likely been cut, because the previous owner/installer has no idea of what is and is not dangerous) . Then the two whites to be one live and one neutral. To establish which is which, you would need to test for continuity. Do you have a continuity test meter? And what type of lampholders are on the fitting?

Tom - if you think that a light would work without a neutral connection you really, really don't have anywhere near enough knowledge to think about repairing one.

Tom - if you think that a light would work without a neutral connection you really, really don't have anywhere near enough knowledge to think about repairing one.
I'm not sure where I said the light would work without a neutral?! Perhaps you should learn to read more carefully before posting pointless criticisms. I have fitted many a light fitting over the years without any trouble whatsoever - it's hardly rocket science. However, this is the first time I have come across a fitting without marked live and neutral, as we don't usually buy second hand light fittings! Every time anyone posts anything on these forums someone comes along saying how difficult it is and how you should only use a professional - I think the clue might be in the forum title: diynot.com!!!
To establish which is which, you would need to test for continuity. Do you have a continuity test meter? And what type of lampholders are on the fitting?
There is also an earth wire up inside of the fitting, which has also been cut, so I don't think the wire with the green stripe is earth. I do have a continuity meter but was hoping there might have been a wiring colour convention I wasn't aware of that would make it easier! The lampholders are the small screw-in type, 40W max.

Sponsored Links
Some of our members can come across the wrong way, don't let it put you off!

Regarding the wires the live should connect to the centre of the holder, the neutral to the outside screw, and the earth to any external metalwork.

Some of these lamps have one pair of cores for each physical lamp holder, so you might find some strange seeming connections, but with a meter it should be simple to work out.

If it was made for the US market, it could be: black (line), white (neutral), green (ground).

One of the conductors looks darker than the other.

I think the clue might be in the forum title: diynot.com!!!
What about the not bit?

There is also an earth wire up inside of the fitting, which has also been cut, so I don't think the wire with the green stripe is earth.
No one said it was earth merely pointing out what the green line was likely meant to signify.
I think everyone thought that being cut short meant it was not used - therefore it is not anything.

I do have a continuity meter but was hoping there might have been a wiring colour convention I wasn't aware of that would make it easier!
Even if there were a convention - well there is, but it is irrelevant because you wouldn't know if it had been followed.

Edit - n't

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many people are assuming the light was operating with cut cables previously. Presumably they weren't cut when the light was made, but it could easily have been cut by someone removing the light as they may have planned to throw it out (or actually thrown it out, then it been retrieved and sold on)

I don't understand why so many people are assuming the light was operating with cut cables previously. Presumably they weren't cut when the light was made, but it could easily have been cut by someone removing the light as they may have planned to throw it out (or actually thrown it out, then it been retrieved and sold on)
Exactly. I had thought this was obvious and didn't need spelling out; evidently not. Thanks for the other helpful replies.

As for the forum title, I think the not bit is supposed to follow on from the y in DIY, as in "DIY/why (Y phonetically) not?" It's not supposed to mean don't attempt DIY, otherwise nobody would bother posting on here!

Exactly. I had thought this was obvious and didn't need spelling out; evidently not.
You thought what was obvious?

If the picture of the cable is of the ceiling connector end (not plug as I said above) then it is apparently obvious but may not be correct, so advice on here other than "test it" would be irresponsible.

As for the forum title, I think the not bit is supposed to follow on from the y in DIY, as in "DIY/why (Y phonetically) not?"
Well, there are also negative answers to "why not?".
It's not supposed to mean don't attempt DIY, otherwise nobody would bother posting on here!
No, but because you get advice or comments you think unreasonable does not mean they is wrong.

I think we're all confused, I assumed it was a ceiling light therefore didn't have a plug!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back