wiring a chandelier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have bought a chandelier which has 5 lights on it. Each light has got an live and neutral wire coming out of it (making 10 wires in all plus one earth wire) There is already a terminal block installed in the ceiling. Do I simply connect each of the live wires to the same hole of the terminal block and likewise the neutral? - It seems a lot of wires in one hole to me... or is there another way? for reference it is an "emily 5 light" - the fitting instructions are not clear about the number of wires.

john

Sponsored Links
surely the thing should be wired to blocks inside it leaving only 1 of each wire to connect to the house wiring?
if it's not then it's not fit for purpouse.. take it back it may be missing a part.. some form of crimp connector or wire nuts maybe?

failing that,you can use crimps / solder + heatshrink to join them all together and leave a fly lead to connect to the house wiring..

Unfortunately, the manufacturers only have to sell them, they don't have to install them! :evil:

I would expect a set of choc blocs or crimps there, with flyleads to connect to your fixed wiring. connecting three wires at ceiling level is enough. Eleven is about eight too many!

The manufacturers would probably say they leave the leads unterminated to allow flexibility for connection in different situations - nothing at all to do with saving them about 5p on production costs :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back