idiot query re underfloor heating

You have space for a wall heater if kept away from the bath or shower.

Also, they do a very narrow storage heater for bathrooms that should fit in that narrow corner by the door.

Sponsored Links
Well that's the mystery solved anyway thank you for your help. I'll have to get someone in to put some sort of heating in - I guess something over the door although I think they look a bit cheap. Do you know if UFH would have been suitable anyway baring in mind that the available floor space is probably less that 2 foot sq?

Sorry - didn't see your last reply - I'll look into the option of a tiny wall heater

Realisically no one would have put UFH in such a small area.

As a final check someone could (safely and carefully) look behind that switch box for UFH cables, but I really don't think you will find any.

Have you got night storage heaters?

I am trying to determine if that switch is on PEAK or OFF PEAK electricity.

Take pictures if your consumer unit(s) (fuse box).

There may be a circuit labelled bathroom or something.

A suitable heater just the other side of that switch will cause the least damage.

Sponsored Links
Hello
i'm really sorry to go when you are being so helpful but I have an appointment that I'm now late for - I've taken photos of the fuse box and will upload them this evening when I get back. Thank you for all your help

Hi
Here are photos of my fuse box. Does the choice between peak and off peak make a difference when choosing a heater?
20151213_103307.jpg
20151213_103307.jpg
20151213_103311.jpg

The labelling on that consumer unit is mostly wrong.
6A circuit for 'downstairs sockets' - not likely.
'Storage heaters' on the same supply as a cooker and sockets - no.
Nothing for any water heating at all.

:) What can I say. This is a small one bed flat all on the same floor.

Yea I suspect 'Ground Floor Sockets' should be 'Ground Floor Lighting' and if it's a one storey flat, then just 'Lighting'.

They've used the storage heater pictures, or panel heaters etc pictures, as well as the text storage heaters. That would imply there are 4 storage heaters? Or perhaps 3 and then this unknown switch outside the bathroom? Does that sound correct?

Hi
There are three electric wall heaters (not storage I think), one in the bedroom and two in the living area - plus that one switch - no heating in kitchen or bathroom.

As I suspected then, each of those heaters is (likely) on their own circuit, and then you (probably) have a dedicated circuit for the bathroom heating - even though none has been installed.

If the labels are anything to go by there are four heater circuits - you have three heaters, and the fourth may well be that switch outside the bathroom.

Given the way your consumer unit has been labelled it does need checking first.

Before installing the heated towel rail it would make good sense to check there is power is at the switch - but it does all look rather hopeful.

Thank you again, I will ask an electrician to come and have a look - finders crossed.

In terms of how much it would cost, it's impossible to say without knowing what's involved in getting power to it. If that spur outside your bathroom is good, it's no more than an hour or two's work (MUCH easier thing to fit rads with two people!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back