IEC sockets - 2 gang and fused switches question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm planning to have a couple of IEC sockets fitted to a wall to power a wall mounted TV and soundbar.

I wanted to know if there are 2 gang IEC sockets available as I couldn't see any on the web after a quick look.

Also, is it possible to have both sockets managed by a single fused switch or would I need one per socket?

See attached image showing my proposed set up.

View media item 77544
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You could use something like this
ProductImage.aspx
from Repsole Ltd

and wire that into the FCU as a single cable.

http://www.repsole.com/

( there are other suppliers of IEC Y cables )

Sponsored Links
Why IEC sockets? why aren't you just using a normal 13S double socket?

Why IEC sockets? why aren't you just using a normal 13S double socket?

Hi plugwash

I'm trying to keep the TV as close to the wall as possible and a standard double gang socket would mean me using the normal plugs ... which protrude a fair amount. It wild be great if you could get the low profile plugs (like the apple USB ones) to power A/V.

One alternative I considered was this sync box fitting but they don't do a double gang:

http://www.sync-box.com/recessed-tv-socket/

Cheers

I'm trying to keep the TV as close to the wall as possible and a standard double gang socket would mean me using the normal plugs ... which protrude a fair amount.
I'm a bit confused. Unless you used right-angled IEC plugs, I would have thought that they would 'stick out' even more than a standard 13A plug - and even with a R/A IEC plug, I would have thought that the 'sticking out' would be similar to that of a 13A plug.

Kind Regards, John

rashomon";p="3110881 said:
I'm trying to keep the TV as close to the wall as possible and a standard double gang socket would mean me using the normal plugs ... which protrude a fair amount.
Straight IECs would protrude far more than a normal UK plug and right angle IECs would protrude about the same as a normal UK plug.

Afaict most TV brackets will leave enough room for a normal socket but if you really need low profile then hardwiring leads to the wall (and disconnecting at the TV end is probablly the way to go.

Straight IECs would protrude far more than a normal UK plug and right angle IECs would protrude about the same as a normal UK plug.
Quite so ....
I'm a bit confused. Unless you used right-angled IEC plugs, I would have thought that they would 'stick out' even more than a standard 13A plug - and even with a R/A IEC plug, I would have thought that the 'sticking out' would be similar to that of a 13A plug.

Kind Regards, John

Nice widowmaker!

Depends how they are used, for example they would be fine for a dimmer input patch panel.

A what?

2012-08-17-16.27.34-300x225.jpg

Used in theatres/studios to supply lighting sockets who are too cheap to use bs546's.

In regards to the plug sticking out too far, I would expect even a right angled IEC to protrude more than a 13A. Maybe a FCU wired to a IEC splitter cable would be the way to go?

Quite so ....

Kind Regards, John

Hi again

Thanks and yes I've been a dunderhead - the idea of a IEC socket into the wall is not going to solve the problem.

So now thinking of a couple of fused FCUs with IECs and my plan as follows:

1) Have my electrician, install two fused connection units with outlets behind the TV area with the mains cable running directly up the wall to power these. Left FCU will power the TV and right FCU will power the soundbar.

2) Create a channel for the soundbar cable to run to the soundbar from the right of the rightmost FCUs - i.e. across to the right and then straight down so no danger of hitting the mains cable.

3) For TV power:

- Connect the left FCU to a flex cable and connect this to a female IEC.
- Take the TV cable, cut off the plug and wire in a male IEC
- Connect the male IEC up to the female IEC.
- Connect the other end of the TV cable to the TV

4) For soundbar power:

- Connect the right FCU to a flex cable and connect this to a female IEC.
- Make an opening in the channel at soundbar height
- Make an opening in the channel behind TV
- Take the soundbar power cable, cut off the plug
- Fish the soundbar cable through the two holes - i.e between the soundbar and the TV
- Wire in a male IEC to the top part of the soundbar cable
- Connect the male IEC to the female IEC
- Connect the other end of the soundbar cable to the soundbar

of course I could drop one of the FCU's and go for a IEC splitter as mentioned by Bernard above - perhaps a neater solution

What do you all think? Need to inform the electrician tomorrow! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back