If I remove this, will my house fall down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to stud wall this opening, I don't think it will fall down as I can't imagine the wood is providing any strength? It goes same direction as floor joists upstairs and has a wall above it.

Attachments

• 20190326_231828.jpg
    20190326_231828.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190326_231852.jpg
    20190326_231852.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
The wood architrave should only be decorative - looks a similar setup to our house. I closed ours in as it had a through lounge. My joists go from side to side too so can’t imagine it will have any loading. I also have a wall above mine although when it was a through lounge there was some kind of lintel up there with a bit of wall each side - exactly what’s there to the right of the door now with the same on the other side.

2801E7B2-01E5-4419-BA86-9399C0E90609.jpeg

Should have a lintel over it, bit of digging into the plaster above it should confirm

Sponsored Links
In some cases there is no lintel, but there is a double floor joist?

What type of wall is there above? is it a timber stud or is it block work or brick

Ken

Glazed doors ,side panels and architraves aren't going to be structural so if removing them and replacing them with a stud wall weakens the structure I will eat my hat .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back