If rads are rusting inside, can anything be done?

You will need to flush it out properly then add inhibitor, provided there's no leaks it should be fine.

It's been powerflushed twice - and all rads off and flushed as well less than a month ago + inhibitor - but the hex is blocked again.

Are you sure the HX is blocked on the system side, most unlikely if that filter has a gauze in it.

I would isolate the filter and check it's clean by removing the gauze, I would also check the pipe isn't blocked between the filter and the TF1.

agile was talking about a major corrosion problem we had in Bath that cost 100 of thousand quids, I assume the sparkies insurance paid.

Sponsored Links
agile was talking about a major corrosion problem we had in Bath that cost 100 of thousand quids, I assume the sparkies insurance paid.

Was the cause ever found or admitted?

Are you sure the HX is blocked on the system side, most unlikely if that filter has a gauze in it.

Most unlikely, but I have seen that happening because somebody had been closing the return valve and draining the boiler from the PRV thus allowing unfiltered dirt in via the flow pipe!

I have often seen gauzes removed by an engineer because "they keep on getting blocked up" !

Sponsored Links
Is it definitely a filter? If it's upside down it can't be doing much.

It's an inline strainer , orientation is correct , look on the brass body and you will see an arrow pointing towards boiler.

Is it definitely a filter? If it's upside down it can't be doing much.

It's an inline strainer , orientation is correct , look on the brass body and you will see an arrow pointing towards boiler.

I will check this tomorrow. It's never been touched as far as I know, if there is mesh inside then it is surely blocked up and has been of no use for years. I think I'll replace it with a Spirotrap. This, with the TF1, drain and add cleaner / then drain and add inhibitor - will hopefully work. If not the rads are being scrapped.

Clean the gauze but don't replace it with anything else. It can trap any kind of dirt!

In that orientation, fitting it in the direction of the arrow creates a situation where dirt will fall down the pipe under gravity thus not removing the dirt from the system.

Tony

Agile";p="2799809 said:
Clean the gauze but don't replace it with anything else. It can trap any kind of dirt!

Trouble is, it isn't.

In that orientation, fitting it in the direction of the arrow creates a situation where dirt will fall down the pipe under gravity thus not removing the dirt from the system.

Tony

You obviously don't attend to many strainers Tony.

You obviously don't attend to many strainers Tony.

I see/fit a lot.

I prefer to clean a system properly so don't need a mag filter but will fit gauze filters if I have any concerns or if the owner wants something.

Those who always fit mag filters are those who are not confident in their cleaning ( or just don't bother! ).

Tony

Job done. System drained, new hex, added a Spirotrap so there's two filters on it now, cleaner added - back next week to drain, refill and add inhibitor. If that doesn't last, I will nuke the place.

I undo the nut on the strainer - there was no mesh, just an empty hole to the return pipe.

Would have been more effective and far cheaper to have fitted a mesh!

But you obviously prefer to take your own advice!

Tony

The spirotrap is a mesh-based filter.

In fairness Tony, some people on here do question your advice![/b]

They are called wind up merchants ( and have been banned several times too! ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back