If you thing BG is expensive ...

Bg bring in contractors to assemble scaffolding. Don't know about if they do the roof work. If they do I suspect the subbies get those jobs.
Ie not on BGs insurance.
Provided with equipment/training forms signed and Buck firmly passed.

When I did subby breakdown work I found a Vaillant turbo max flue terminal broken away
1st floor in airing cupboard.
Job had to be booked to support engineer who was "ladder trained" and another engineer to support.
Job was booked for 1/2 day to allow for ladder setup risk asses etc

Sponsored Links
The existing Istor is a combined 120 litre unvented cylinder and 24kW boiler. So it will need replacing by a separate cylinder and boiler. This does pose problems due to the vertical space available. A 150 litre cylinder is about the largest possible. One possibility is to locate the cylinder in the unheated "airing" cupboard on the floor below, which will involve some alterations to the pipe work. The other difficulty is accessing the roof to fit the flue - it's a three storey mid-terrace, so scaffolding or a tower would be required. But I would expect a large company with very many employees would have the need for this equipment on a regular basis, so it would make sense to have their own equipment and not have to employ a scaffolder or hire a tower.

Given all the above, I still think £5,500 is excessive. BG has been asked to quote.

Get ready then....

Risk assessments ...permit to work.....
Service/repairs on radiant tube heaters require a workforce of 3 persons......one person to operate scissor lift , 2nd person at ground level , third person to carry out service/repair.....unless of course RGI has ticket to operate lift.......then only two persons required....
Commercial gas purge requires in excess of 4 persons...:):rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
How can the right tw@t, sorry, honourable Lord Hailsham comment on the fairness of a quote when he does not know what D2 is?

I hope he repoirta back with the BG quote

Does make you chuckle doesn't it? The Google heroes like Mr Hailsham, Bernard and JohnD always give out advice but the gaps in their knowledge is quite worrying.

Those that are not regular readers won't appreciate how much waffle is offered as by the chaps.

Now received the quote; one major component not listed - the UV cylinder. Luckily that was just a typing error and didn't affect the price.

WB Greenstar 18i
WB Greenstor SC180 U-V cylinder
Magnaclean (compulsory for the 7 year warranty?)
2 Danfoss Zone valves. (I though UV cylinders now had to come as a manufacturer-provided package with motorized valve included.)
Danfoss 2 Channel programmer (only one channel needed as there is a Honeywell CM907 already controlling the CH).

The boiler is more than adequate for the CH, but I am concerned re cylinder heating up times. Heating a cold cylinder (191 litres) from 15C to 60C will take 33 minutes and reheating after 70% used will take 23 minutes. I suppose it all depends on the differential on the cylinder thermostat and sensible HW times.

It includes a "hot flush" before and after fitting new boiler. This is not a power flush - that's extra.

The cylinder will be located on the first floor, in the airing cupboard, immediately below the boiler on the second floor. It appears that this will not be a problem for the discharge pipework as there is a duct serving both cupboards, which carries water and gas pipes as well as the existing discharge pipe.

They say that they will need to confirm that it is a 2-pipe circuit, which will involve lifting floor boards. On a nine year old house???

50% deposit up front, or 10% if using their finance. Unfortunately that is only available on installations up to £5k inc VAT. So it will mean arranging finance separately as the price quoted is £5389.

There is an independent installer nearby who is Intergas and Viessman approved. Would it be worth contacting him for a quote? (Assuming he is not overloaded with work.)

Chew-chew-chew (That's the sound of humble pie being consumed.) :oops::oops::oops:

BG have just estimated £6.5k.

If anyone can recommend an installer with G3 qualification in the Sittingbourne, Kent area could they please let me know. The boiler is getting very unreliable and needs replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back