Ignition rod sparking in wrong place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The saga with my aging Halstead Best 50 continues, but not for long. Got lots of independents coming this week to give me quotes for a boiler replacement as I've finally had enough. So this is a theoretical question as I'm almost certainly not going to bother fixing it...

Had someone in to have a look at the latest cause of the occasional ignition lockout.

95% of the time, the ignition rod sparks at the tip where it is supposed to do. The other 5% of the time, the sparks happen at the base of the ceramic rod across to the base of the burner.

Chap recommended replacing the ignition rod/cable and possibly the PCB, both of which were replaced just 3-4 months ago so should be brand new, hence my having had enough, this boiler has to go.

I really don't want to spend another penny on this now... I could possibly live with getting him to replace the relatively cheap ignition cable, but not unless I'm sure that will fix it 100%.

What could cause a brand new ignition cable/rod to be sparking at the base rather than the tip? Could I have just been unlucky and got a faulty one?

Sponsored Links
Usually down to gap setting or dirt/rust around the vicinity of the electrode. Ignition spark will take the path of least resistance so if it can find a narrower gap elsewhere that it can jump then that's where it'll go.

Cheers, nice and simple explanation. Still, had enough with this one now so it's time for a new one.

Halstead have some of the cheapest nastiest electrodes going....I've had several where the wire has become detached from the electrode inside the ceramic (poor welding).
Looking at the parts list it would appear that some of the Best electrodes have a glass fibre sleeving over the wire and ceramic....perhaps that was to alleviate the problems you have.

Sponsored Links
Interesting.. Yes there was a glass fibre sleeve over the wire, but the flame sensor wire has also been put through this sleeve which means because they diverge (flame sensor at back, igniter at the front) the cables are bare again for the few inches up to the ceramic rods. Maybe the flame sensor cable didn't need protecting, so the sleeving should really be solely on the igniter all the way up and including the rod.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back