IKEA cooker wattage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I am in the process of installing a kitchen from IKEA - first time and just planning a few things.

I have taken out my old kitchen and the old electric oven was plugged into a normal 13amp socket. I am aware that I may need to put a new socket in with either its own circuit or fused socket for the new cooker. I have read that if it is under 3kW then it is ok to use a standard 13amp plug and socket but any more powerful and I will need to do more than this.

My problem is that on the paperwork with the cooker it says that it is 110 W. Now.. does this W stand for Watts?! Is this equivalent to 1.1kW? Is 1kW not equal to 1000W, making my oven only 0.1kW, a ridiculously low amount? I am expecting it to be a low wattage because it is the simplest of simple single electric oven, but not this low!

If the W does not stand for this, then the only other figures I have to go on are "230v ~ 50Hz" next to the barcode. Does this help anything?
I have tried to phone the store I bought it from but cannot get through to anybody. Please explain!
Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
is it an electric cooker, or gas? Did the cooker arrive with a 3-pin plug on a flex, or what?

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but does the oven have a threaded nipple on the back, where a gas pipe might connect?

Are there any other ratings mentioned in the booklet? Could you scan / re-type the specifications page here?

230V ~ 50Hz is the voltage and frequency that every electrical appliance in europe runs on by the way ;)

You are quite right to ask me - it is definitely an electric oven and has a cord coming out the back with no socket but normal three wires ready to attach. At least I now know about the 230V - 50Hz thing, although it is all a bit embarassing - at least I am able to hide behind a computer!

I have found on the back of another sheet, (which I thought was repeating in different languages something I had already seen but appears was not) that its energy consumption is 1.2 KWh. I assume that this means that i can quite simply plug the oven into a normal 13amp plug and socket.

Thank you for your patience! We all need to learn sometime... (although my learning curve is very steep right now.)

Sponsored Links
So it is an oven, not a cooker? No hob where you can put pans?

I can see I'm going to have to be careful what I write on these things, having just read the conversation started by Belfast Ste!
It is, indeed, an oven and not a cooker. That is my inexperience showing through I am afraid. :oops:

"Cookers/ovens": the "tannoy/public address system" of the spark's world?

I have separate gas hobs (4 on a plate to be fitted into worktop). They are in no way connected to my oven.[/img]

Well, chances are, yes you can. But kWh (kilo-Watt-hour) is not a power rating but an energy consumption figure. Power is the rate of consumption of energy, which in an electrical device will determine the current flowing. And it is the current ratingof the device that determines the size of cable and fuse/circuit breaker.

A 1kW device uses 1kWh every hour
A 2kW device uses 1kWh ever half hour.
A 6kW device will use 1kWh every ten minutes!
A 100 W can also use 1kWh... but it will take ten hours to do so.

The fact that is comes with flex attached suggests it is under 3kW, like every modern single oven I have encountered, so yes, you should be able to fit a plug and run it from a 13 Amp socket. (Are you sure there isn't a plate on the inside of the door stile, or on the back, which give the rating in kW (not the meaningless kWh)?

elliotdavis10 said:
So my question is, simply, at 1.2KWh, can I just attach a plug and stick it in a normal 13amp socket?

1.2Kwh is s useless value for sizing circuits its a measure of energy, as opposed to power, and while it may have some relevance to energy efficency, for sizing circuits we need a value in watts or kilowatts (as opposed to kilowatt hours*)

*1 Kwh = 1 kw drawn for an hour, or 2kw for half an hour, or 4kw for 15mins, or 8kw for 7 and a half mins, etc, etc

Ooh no... you're not another one going bleating to the forum police are you? I'm quaking! :D

Hey, best of luck with your college course, by the way.

Thanks guys, both of you.. I've found a plate on the side and it says that it's 2.1 KW.

I currently have a single socket near the proposed position of the oven. It has a double flex coming into it so is part of the ring main I suspect. I will need a socket for the gas hob spark so was hoping I might be able to replace it with a normal double socket and plug both hob and oven straight in.

Am I still going to be able to do this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back