Ikea vs Energy saving light bulbs

i have been buying low energy bulbs since they cost nearing £20 and looked like a large tube with a domed end
my only concession to style is the bulbs that look like oversized "normal " bulbs lol

any way over the years the bulbs last longer i have several off 15 to 20 years old the new ones light up to 80% almost instantly and 100% in less than 60 seconds

i dont go for "small "bulbs as the reduced size will mean greater heat and bulb failure
in general i say go for 4x the bulb rating or divide by 4 so a 13w bulb = 52 watts or a 60w normal bulb = 15w then you wont be dissapointed

Are the mentally deranged allowed to post? Smaller bulbs produce heat? 20 year old energy efficient bulbs? I'm confused. I buy energy efficient bulbs with a claim that they last longer than traditional bulbs, and fail at install.

Sponsored Links
i have been buying low energy bulbs since they cost nearing £20 and looked like a large tube with a domed end
my only concession to style is the bulbs that look like oversized "normal " bulbs lol

any way over the years the bulbs last longer i have several off 15 to 20 years old the new ones light up to 80% almost instantly and 100% in less than 60 seconds

i dont go for "small "bulbs as the reduced size will mean greater heat and bulb failure
in general i say go for 4x the bulb rating or divide by 4 so a 13w bulb = 52 watts or a 60w normal bulb = 15w then you wont be dissapointed

Are the mentally deranged allowed to post? Smaller bulbs produce heat? 20 year old energy efficient bulbs? I'm confused. I buy energy efficient bulbs with a claim that they last longer than traditional bulbs, and fail at install.

interesting comments :D :D ;)

all i am saying with reduced sized bulbs off any type you are reducing the the cooling potential and sometimes the active gas avalable which can often cause overheating and premature failure
can you now lock me in for your own safety and piece off mind :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Are the mentally deranged allowed to post?
Evidently so. :rolleyes:

Thanks BigAll for that bit of advice on choice of bulb sizes. Technical stuff about cooling makes sense too (the surface area of the glass relating to the square of the radii involved and the volume to the cube means that the overall heatsink effect of the gases and container is a little more complex than at first inspection) ;)

Don't forget that these energy saving light bulbs, cost more to produce both in monetary terms and actual energy itself. When they come to the end of their life, they are more costly to re-process or dispose of safely.
If one breaks in your home/workplace, it's not a simple case of just changing the bulb. You have to open the windows (to allow the dangerous gasses to escape) Bag the remains up etc.

I do think the EU have not thought through fully the case for and against these energy saving bulbs.

Sponsored Links
Are the mentally deranged allowed to post?
Evidently so. :rolleyes:

Thanks BigAll for that bit of advice on choice of bulb sizes. Technical stuff about cooling makes sense too (the surface area of the glass relating to the square of the radii involved and the volume to the cube means that the overall heatsink effect of the gases and container is a little more complex than at first inspection) ;)

All the energy saving bulbs I have don't seem to be made of glass, but some composite material, and they don't get hot either.

All the energy saving bulbs I have don't seem to be made of glass, but some composite material, and they don't get hot either.

when you say they don't get hot are you talking after switching on or after say 30 mins??
the electronics are in the end just after the screw or bayonet how hot does that part get ??

maybe that's part off the problem they retain the heat so burn out quicker??

The energy saving light bulb in my living room sometimes affects the digital set top box when they are switched on. Quite often, turning the light on in the evening sends the set top box into a frenzy of changing channels. Sometimes it will turn the box off. At other times it will mute the TV and has even started the video recording.
Wish I had a nice 100w ordinary filament light bulb to replace it with. ;) ;) ;)

when you say they don't get hot are you talking after switching on or after say 30 mins??
the electronics are in the end just after the screw or bayonet how hot does that part get ??

maybe that's part off the problem they retain the heat so burn out quicker??

But they don't burn out quicker, they have a clause on the packet that says they will last for 5 years. Traditional bulbs last longer than that, but flo lamps seemingly don't. So energy saving bulbs are a lie. They cost more initially, don't last as long as suggested, and have to have special measures to dispose of them when they do fail. If the bulb is seated correctly, then there is no heat between the electrical connections. The bulbs don't have any heat..what is this issue about energy saving bulbs having heat? No flo tube ever got hot. Which is what the minature energy saving bulbs are. Traditional bulbs create heat, which heats the room, and give instantanious light, but energy saving bulbs don't provide heat, and provide little light upto 90 minutes, only produce 40% power, as stated on the box. And don't get hot, thus don't warm the room as a byproduct.

yes very good we all believe the claims without question :D :D

well the bulbs you buy are different to the ones i use i wont buy small bulbs in the form off candle bulbs or similar i do buy 9w loops but without a cosmetic covering to reduce light output or retain heat
i do however buy 18 and 20w bulbs that have an additional covering to look like a normal bulb

they all get hot enough to give you a burn without being in an enclosed area

normal 3/4/5/6ft tubes including the connected electronics do give out a lot off heat but this is normally dissipated by the large metal and glass area in relation to light output

well the bulbs you buy are different to the ones i use i wont buy small bulbs in the form off candle bulbs or similar i do buy 9w loops but without a cosmetic covering to reduce light output or retain heat
i do however buy 18 and 20w bulbs that have an additional covering to look like a normal bulb

normal 3/4/5/6ft tubes including the connected electronics do give out a lot off heat but this is normally dissipated by the large metal and glass area in relation to light output

I think in a chandelier, those zany wacky twisty eco bulbs might look out of place? But 18/20W eco bulbs? I think you lost the plot there. A flo tube will burn you, that is what you state? can I ask a question? Are you mental? A 6 foot flo tube gives off a lot of heat; that what you say? Are you in a mental hospital?

I think in a chandelier, those zany wacky twisty eco bulbs might look out of place? But 18/20W eco bulbs? I think you lost the plot there. A flo tube will burn you, that is what you state? can I ask a question? Are you mental? A 6 foot flo tube gives off a lot of heat; that what you say? Are you in a mental hospital?

its a simple enough statement a fluro tube thats say 4ft and 56 watts will give out as much heat as 3 20w le bulbs but as the surface area is several times the size it will be dissipated and virtually non detectable

i had assumed you where an intelligent person having a bit off fun which i off course will go along with :cool:
but it seems i could be wrong the way you are coming accross with some off your comments is that you may lack some off the more essential social skills to have a meaningful intelligent conversation please prove me wrong ;)

its a simple enough statement a fluro tube thats say 4ft and 56 watts will give out as much heat as 3 20w le bulbs but as the surface area is several times the size it will be dissipated and virtually non detectable

i had assumed you where an intelligent person having a bit off fun which i off course will go along with :cool:
but it seems i could be wrong you may lack some off the more essential social skills to have a meaningful intelligent conversation please prove me wrong ;)
Learn how to spell, then come back?

so you have lost your argument then ??
i have not been personal just helpful ;)

shall we let others judge :cool:

i have used the spell checker but guess what i don't always get it right i forget you need to press the correct spelling then the correct enter then ok
but hey i know my spelling is bad at least i don't find being childish and attacking people for no reason exciting :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

please keep attacking me if you wish it doesn't bother me in the least
i will enjoy helping people and let other people form there own opinions on the way you carry on :D :D

Have you ever actually touched an operating fluorescent tube? They don't get as hot as an incandescent lamp, but they definitely do get hot. I've changed hot CFLs, they don't usually burn, but they are rather hot.

And if you really think the heat put off by a 100W lamp heats your room, when your radiator probably puts out several kilowatts to do so, you're just dumb.

so you have lost your argument then ??
i have not been personal just helpful ;)

shall we let others judge :cool:

i have used the spell checker but guess what i don't always get it right i forget you need to press the correct spelling then the correct enter then ok
but hey i know my spelling is bad at least i don't find being childish and attacking people for no reason exciting :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

please keep attacking me if you wish it doesn't bother me in the least
i will enjoy helping people and let other people form there own opinions on the way you carry on :D :D

I didn't think it was personal to point out that I find it hard to understand, when people mis-spell. I certainly don't believe it to be childish or attacking people. So people admit, that flo tubes get warm, but not hot.

Monkeh - a lightbulb DOES contribute heat to a room, as does a candle, a tiny bit. People had electric lightbulbs and candles before central heating in the modern sense was invented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back