Illegal boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a flat last year, the vendor said the boiler was in good working condition and had been serviced regularly, when I had it serviced myself I was told it was an illegal and dangerous boiler and could not be used. I had to replace the boiler. Can I claim back from the previous owner ?

Sponsored Links
your best bet is to speak to the solicitor that did the conveyancing and find out what was said in the questions for vendors form. unless you have a copy

Who was it that told you it was dangerous and illegal and did they put a warning sticker on it,turn it off and make out a notice?

Sponsored Links
i think there's normally a clause in the contract somewhere to the effect of "you are buying the property in its current state - its up to you to make and necessary checks you wish" or something like that :p

well, there was in ours :D

I think there has been a change either in the law or perhaps just the way solicitors treat a sale as a vendor can now become responsible financially if something is not as described.

Tony

The only person who could inspect the boiler and give a statement is a corgi reg person so the householder can only give opinion.
Most estate agents state all appliances as not tested.
Your only recourse is if you had a full survey ane even then the surveyor who is not usually corgi always reccommends it is tested by a competent person.
Good luck
Pete

Perhaps when buying next house get corgi person to do your whole survey we have good grounding in joinery plastering tiling plumbing groundwork, leadwork, roofing drainage rainwater waste and soil and electricery.

Oh and we are qualified in energy efficiency too.

Thanks to your wonderful government we are amongst the most highly trained individuals going.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++But for the moment sue your surveyor not the vendor. You did pay for a surveyor at least for the mortgage. Ask why he was so stupid as to not recognise a case in need of professional opinion. make them earn their inflated wages which they get for cuting and pasting standard paragraphs (or paying the secretary to).
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have to say that 99% of the Alphas I go to are professionally fited to a high standard. the 1% is the one who didn't put the sticky foil tape on the sliding joint of the flue and didn't bond it on insde or cement it on outside so it fell apart and caused me to go and fix a boiler making odd noises. Well band a boilers do make a fuss if the flue is incomplete. Anyhow I have been told tha the installer is our customer, so I fixed it got out my sand and cement and all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back