Is my boiler illegal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Standard Mexico 2 open flue boiler that was installed in my garage over 15 years ago by a then CORGI registered installer. Although still working well, we thought it may be time to invest in a more efficient boiler, and have been getting in a few quotes. One of the companies who came out to give us a quote said that the current installation was illegal, and the open flue boiler should be turned off immediately. We never keep the car in the garage, so the possibility of petrol spillage is not really an issue, but he said that was not the point. I raised this issue with other companies quoting, but they said that although this installation would not be allowed under current regs. it was not illegal to use the boiler, but obviously recommended an externally flued condensing boiler be fitted. Who is right? Should I disconnect the boiler, or is it OK to continue using it?

Sponsored Links
whoever told you it was "illegal" is in the wrong.

As for is it safe.... can't say for sure as it has to pass certain tests - if you're not replacing it in the near future, why not get is serviced by a local RGI

Sponsored Links
Get it looked over for any safety issues, then serviced. Then keep your money in your pocket. cos this will out last todays crapp ;)

It used to be illegal to install an open flue gas appliance in a Garage (Car or not) - I believe this was relaxed a few years ago , these days most boilers are Room Sealed so no problem,

If the boiler is coming out what exactly is the issue here? :confused:

Keep the Mexico. Don't be bamboozled into to more efficient but less reliable boilers. Will take years to see any payback, if at all.

Thanks for all your helpful comments. The original boiler was fitted in the kitchen which backs on to the garage, so it was a relatively simple job for the installer ( about 15 years ago) to knock through from the garage and pick up the lined chimney to the roof that the original boiler was flued through. The boiler has been serviced every year by a registered gas safe engineer, and the odd little thing changed, like thermocouples. He also uses smoke bombs to check that the chimney is functioning OK and that there are no leaks into the house. He says that there is nothing to go wrong with this boiler, whereas new boilers need far more maintenance and have a life expectancy of about 10 years if you’re lucky. He didn’t think that old, already installed boilers would be subject to the garage rule, but he wasn’t certain, hence my question.

If the boiler is not illegal then I’m tempted to hang onto it, as you can buy a lot of gas for the £2000+ I’ve been quoted to replace it!

Does anyone know where the prohibition on O/F boilers in garages was relaxed?

Since there should be very few left any more it seems an odd thing to do.

But we need to keep up to date for ACS renewal!

Tony

Just to be sure that my boiler wasn't breaking any laws, and to pacify my wife, I phoned both the HSE and the Gas Safety Regulation Council (Tel 0800 408 5500) and spoke to their technical department. They told me that open flued boilers are not illegal in garages - the regulation was in fact relaxed in 1994 - so there is no need for me to panic about replacing my old boiler.

I knew it was relaxed some time ago I believe the argument was that there had been thousands of conventional flued oil fired boilers fitted in garages over the years without incident, and with these being changed for Gas (like your mexico) the rule was relaxed, thank you for taking the trouble to research this and find the actual date! - your Mexico is pretty well bomb proof, it would be worth investing in the best controls and zoning as this can save a fair amount of energy usage, but keep that old boiler as said it will see a new HE boiler out easily! ;)

Come across this a lot over the years and the only thing that used to crop up was whether to inform your house insurance due to supposed higher fire risk

As if having a boiler in a garage would make it more of a fire risk than anywhere else in the house.
Only in ultra paranoid UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back