Is my gas boiler Flue illegal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We currently have a horizontal flue for our Glowworm boilder.

The flue goes through the external wall and is sighted about 50-100mm below our eaves / soffit.

Is this illegal?

I am paranoid that the vent gases might seep back into the roof space.

The flue does project forward off the wall though a good distance, to about level with the overhang of the soffit.

I found regs online that stated 600mm without eave protection and 75mm with eaves protection. Which i have seen done on neighbours buildings.

But these just seems too close to me.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It is not a question of being illegal but if it is installed to the boiler makers requirements.

The interpretation of the regulations can be quite difficult.

You don't say who installed this flue or if you have had the boiler serviced annually as is recommended.

It is unlikely that there is any immediate danger so why not ask your engineer at the next service?

Tony

It is not a question of being illegal but if it is installed to the boiler makers requirements.

The interpretation of the regulations can be quite difficult.

You don't say who installed this flue or if you have had the boiler serviced annually as is recommended.

It is unlikely that there is any immediate danger so why not ask your engineer at the next service?

Tony

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The boiler was installed before we bought the house. And it is currently disconnected and so will be tested etc once reconnected.

I did not get a straight answer out of a gas engineer that i asked, so i was left a bit confused.

I will try and get a copy of the manual for the boiler, and see what that says.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A photograph of the flue terminal would help

Hi,

I cna provide a photo later today. However i have just found the manual online for our boiler. And it says min distance under eaves is only 25mm!!

Glow-Worm 24cxi.

Attachments

• cxi-range-157150.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 598
I did not get a straight answer out of a gas engineer that i asked, so i was left a bit confused.
has the gas person who visited and disconnected the boiler left a report ? post it here (cover up personal info).
Photos of the flue various angles will as mentioned be a great help to visualise it . and what boiler is it ?
with that info more assistance will follow.

has the gas person who visited and disconnected the boiler left a report ? post it here (cover up personal info).
Photos of the flue various angles will as mentioned be a great help to visualise it . and what boiler is it ?
with that info more assistance will follow.

Hi,

The gas meter was disconnected and moved by a Transco engineer, but after that the empty pipework to the boiler was just cut by the builder.

The boiler is mounted and wired, but currently has no gas or water connections.

The boiler is a Glow-Worm 24cxi, i have attached a PDF of the manual above.

Thanks

you are getting confused here, the eave protection that you are talking about is a heat shield, to protect the eaves from heat damage from the exhaust gasses from a standard efficiency flue, your boiler is a condensing high efficiency boiler and recirculates the heat from the exhaust gasses to make it more efficient, hence the exhaust gas is very low temperature, this is why the manufacturer states 25mm min clearance, you have nothing to worry about

And its not just the low flue gas temperature.

It is because the gasses are blown out under pressure away from the building so they do not even touch any part of the building.

But interpretation of the installation manual often needs an RGI with his knowledge and training and not just anyone reading the book!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back