ILLEGAL???? company selling and fitting B rated boilers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found a local firm offering Baxi combi replacement boiler for £999 fitted inc power flush.

When I called them, they said it's a Baxi Main 24 or 30HE. I asked if it was a A rated, and they said no, it's B rated but still 88% efficient.

i thought this was illegal to supply and fit these now??

I'm considering getting one if it's ok to do so, as the efficency is almost the same as most A rated boiler. But supply & fitting is £400 less. Is this foolish?

Cheers,
Kev.

Sponsored Links
Band A only so you pays ya money and takes the chance.

Perhaps if you ask him nicely he'll backdate the VAT invoice to 2010. :LOL:

Band A is not a stipulation anymore the figures have been rejigged and method of working out the efficiency changed which basically reduces most existing band A and B BY 2%.

Boilers must now be above 88% efficient and those boilers you have mentioned are no longer that efficient after the new calc .

Would i accept one . Yes as the savings made is very tiny compared to one that meets the regs

Sponsored Links
I know the last boiler I worked on was not A rated and as far as I am aware one can't buy a A rated boiler which runs on 35 sec gas oil and is suitable for mounting in a narrow boat.

The Eberspächer Hydronic B4WSC 12v water heater is one of the few compact designs which works on 12 volt and 35 sec gas oil which is same as main engine and can be integrated with the heating from the engine cooling water so either the engine or the heater can provide the heating.

If there is now a law saying heaters must be A rated how would one heat a narrow boat.

I would assume to be A rated it would need to have a sterling engine to extract the last bits of energy and feed the power into the grid. However for this to work one must be connected to the grid in the first place. So it just does not make sense to have a law which some people could not comply with. Are you sure it's a law and not just a recommendation like we have in electric trade with out 17th Edition?

It's part ofthe building regulations,I would presume as a narrow boat isn't a building it may well fall intO some of the exemptions.

As Namsag has said the way of rating boilers has altered , with combis I beleive it is now rated at 50% hw & 50% space heating now , which has now lowered the figures for many manu's 1 particular manu with an Atmospheric boiler has done quite well from the new criteria ??

No it's more complicated.

Some B band boilers are still ok.

The whole system is a confusing mess.

Do I expect anything else in this country. NO!

I dont understand how they came up with the new Sedbuk figures. it ranks some highly unlikely boilers above some others which are clearly more efficient.

for example a ravenheap must be telling someone some porky to come up with its figures...

Must admit the list of boiler effiencys I have got , theres about 50 models on there SAP effiency which apparently is anual as opposed to the old criteria that was seasonal & does it on a 50 / 50 basis h water & heating ?

Speaking about ravenheat there atmospheric boiler was 90.6% & is now 90% there pre-mix model was 90.7% & is now 89.4% ??

Viessman vitodens was 90.4% & now 89.4% same as a WB cdi 35 ?

All fairly irrelevant really , but there u go

Speaking about ravenheat there atmospheric boiler was 90.6% & is now 90% there pre-mix model was 90.7% & is now 89.4% ??

Seems about right for the premix.....................but 90% efficiency for the atmospheric?.................seems their using a mis-match of GCV/NCV to suit themselves.

Seems about right for the premix.....................but 90% efficiency for the atmospheric?.................seems their using a mis-match of GCV/NCV to suit themselves.

All the figures are from an independent test house an extensive list is available on www.sedbuk.com/cgi it would appear that the raven atmospheric combi may well be at the top of the combi list ??

well someone must be walk about the "Independent test house" with pockets bulging because it is physically impossible for a atmospheric burner to be more efficient than a premix burner. it does not matter how large a heat exchanger it has, they will always be to much air in the POC.

for Christ sake it has a higher efficiency than boilers that have passive flue heat recovery units on them. it makes the list a complete **** take.

well someone must be walk about the "Independent test house" with pockets bulging because it is physically impossible for a atmospheric burner to be more efficient than a premix burner. it does not matter how large a heat exchanger it has, they will always be to much air in the POC.

for Christ sake it has a higher efficiency than boilers that have passive flue heat recovery units on them. it makes the list a complete p**s take.

:) :) I think u need to click onto a manu with passive heat recovery which than gives u hw effiency figures , some of the manus / test houses have not tested them for hw eg no figures held ! something like that any way maybe ?? ! good old LP I say :) WB look out :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back