Illuminated bathroom cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys ,
I have a bathroom cabinet that is lit by two 15Watt T8 tubes .One on either side .The lights flicked a little when pulling the cord to switch them on but would not illuminate and stay on .
I thought the tubes had gone so I replaced them .However they still dont come on and in fact there is now no flicker either when the cord is pulled .

On one side is an Electric ballast ,which i presume operates the power to the two bulbs .( i am only guessing ).Is this the likely reason for the failure of the tubes lighting and if so ,can I buy a replacement ballast unit .??

I contacted the manufacturer who said they dont supply the ballast seperately .Can I get them at an electrical retailer ,and if so where, and is there different types etc .

Your help is appreciated .
Regards
Rob .

Sponsored Links
Note that modern electronic ballests don't use a seperate starter only old fasioned inductive ones do.

When shopping for ballasts the main things to consider is whether it is appropriate for the size of tubes you are using and whether you want a modern electronic ballest or an old fasioned inductive one.

If in doubt post a picture of the setup.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks plugwash .Mine must be the newer style type ,so I need to find somewhere who has them .
Thanks Again
Rob.

The lights flicked a little when pulling the cord to switch them on but would not illuminate and stay on .
I thought the tubes had gone so I replaced them .However they still dont come on and in fact there is now no flicker either when the cord is pulled .
Don't take offence, but have you checked that power is reaching the ballast?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back