Illuminated bathroom mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just after some thoughts on illuminated bathroom mirrors.

Most of the ones available appear to only hang on two screws, via a keyhole type arrangement, rather than being able to be actually fastened down. I'm not sure how confident I'd feel about having a mirror like this, as wouldn't it be a bit loose and possibly move about if the glass is being wiped?

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fitted a few of these and never envisaged such problems. They're not particularly heavy and seemed sturdy once hanging on the wall.

Not a problem , you would need to lift the entire mirror and pull to move, not something that happens during cleaning .

I guess with sufficient weight, perhaps lifting up could be prevented, even by the most vigorous cleaning by the unexpected?

Sponsored Links
I've fitted a large and heavy circular mirror (1m diam.).
My partner wasn't happy with just the two fixings, so we put some stripes of silicone behind.
It's sticky enough to stop the mirror being dislodged from the main fixings, but (hopefully!) should also be removable if needed.

The last 3 bathroom mirrors that I fitted had backs that were screwed with 4 screws to the wall. That said, each of them had shaver sockets which I guess make them deeper and need to have removable fronts.

In fact, I did see one with a shaver socket, which only hung from the top. I thought there's no way that's going to stay in place. That'll come off and smash into the basin.

As an aside I have a mirror at home which is 1.8m tall and 1.6m wide- glued to 18mm MDF. I used 6mm coach screws and a total of 6 keyholes. Two of my keyholes were slightly misaligned so I removed two of the coach screws. The mirror has been hanging for 20+ years. That said, it would be too heavy to accidentally lift off and when I routed the keyholes I made them extra tall. I did caulk around it though to hide the slight curve in the wall.

There is no reason why you can't run a bead of silicone around your mirror to lock it in place.

Yep, that helps, will probably squidge some clear silicone on the bottom and wiggle it into place as it hangs. Helps me decide on a mirror as I only want to drill into these tiles the once. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back