illuminated doorbell button for 24V bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted a louder doorbell and the one I got can now be heard anywhere in the house. Its 24V which needed a new transformer and I found the bell rang continuously until I removed the bulb from the illuminated doorbell button as it was being overpowered by the higher voltage.

The problem now is that visitors aren't seeing the doorbell and its even harder to hear them knocking. Is it possible to get an illuminated button that will fit straight into the 24V circuit? Or do I need an illumimated button on a lower voltage circuit that triggers some sort of switch and any suggestions as to what that switch should be (from Screwfix if poss)? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Or this if you want the indicator around the button. Might have to find an enclosure/small plate for it though. What bell is it? I'm surprised such a low powered lamp can let enough current flow to operate a mechanical bell!

Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's a "MOTORISED white BELL (152mm/6inches) FULLEON CFB6D24 BELL, 18/30VDC, 152MM (V)" sounds like a school bell or fire alarm going off!!!!
Now I've taken the lamp out all the button is doing is complete the circuit. Before that the lamp was in parallel drawing a small current so that it stayed lit. 24V was enough to overpower it and make the bell ring constantly although rather pathetically.

Sponsored Links
Just for referance, the lamp was more likely in series :)
If you could change the cable to 3 core, you may be able to solder a small lamp in the bell button, wired across the transormer output

Lamp was in parallel with the push :)

Try an LED (2 volt, 20 mA forward current, any bog standard red led should do) with about 1 kΩ resistor in series (assuming a DC supply). That should drop the voltage across the bell to about 12 volts, and according to the data sheet they ring on about 18 volts upwards.

The (LED+resistor) goes across the push contacts. LEDs are polarity sensitive. You might want to do 2 LEDs in inverse-parallel (one forward, one backward).

Try an LED.

Good idea. 24V-2V is 22V but the idea would be to limit the current, not the voltage. An LED will let through much less current than a bulb for the same brightness.

A white LED will preserve the look. You may even find one for 24V packaged as a bulb replacement if you look hard enough.

I'm not sure my soldering skills are up to fitting an LED, it's pretty tiny. So first off I've decided to try fitting a relay switch. If that works the door press will be illuminated again on a 12V circuit which and that'll actuate the relay to close a 24V circuit through the bell. Fingers crossed.

Good idea. 24V-2V is 22V but the idea would be to limit the current, not the voltage.

Those bells are very low current and consume about 20-30 mA which is what will be passed by the LED. You could actually (probably, ignoring motor theory) use the bell as the series resistor for the LED on 24 volts (and the bell would ring). Current is the same through a series circuit, so you need to drop the voltage below the bell trigger level.

A car numberplate LED bulb might be too powerful and pass enough current to ring the bell, eg
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/24V-LED-Number-Plate-bulbs-truck/

Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's a "MOTORISED white BELL (152mm/6inches) FULLEON CFB6D24 BELL, 18/30VDC, 152MM (V)" sounds like a school bell or fire alarm going off!!!!
Now I've taken the lamp out all the button is doing is complete the circuit. Before that the lamp was in parallel drawing a small current so that it stayed lit. 24V was enough to overpower it and make the bell ring constantly although rather pathetically.
You did try replacing the lamp with a 24V one didn't you?

This bulb I took out is tiny & I didn't find a replacement; all the illuminated door pushes I found are 12V max. I've ordered the relay now but if that doesn't work I'll look harder at changing the bulb.

Attachments

• 20160921_214918_001.jpg
    20160921_214918_001.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 116

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back