I'm scared to change the oil because I think I stripped the sump threads last time, but it needsdoin

No it's because the engines are a nightmare for oil carbonisation, and suction method cannot get it all out.

The old stuff that remains turns into sludge and solid carbon, this generally then breaks down and gets sent around the system and clogs up turbos etc
Exactly, ad this is why I was wondering if suction would get more of the old oil out. Take a look at the stupid design of the sump, the drain plug is recessed into the sump so there is no way all the old oil can drain out, no wonder the engines run into the problems they do.
sumpplug-jpg.192427

I have changed the oil in it every year, but it is 11 year old now with 66 on the clock, I'm trying to look after it as I would like it to keep going. I may drop the sump next year and see what its looking like.

Sponsored Links
Exactly, ad this is why I was wondering if suction would get more of the old oil out. Take a look at the stupid design of the sump, the drain plug is recessed into the sump so there is no way all the old oil can drain out, no wonder the engines run into the problems they do.
sumpplug-jpg.192427

I have changed the oil in it every year, but it is 11 year old now with 66 on the clock, I'm trying to look after it as I would like it to keep going. I may drop the sump next year and see what its looking like.

Wait, why is my thread being hijacked ,?
Please may this thread please now be closed

but with such low mileage, surely the oil is always clean and clear? Assuming you take it on journeys to get it properly hot?

Sponsored Links
sumpplug-jpg.192427

Ah that's strange, I know the older ones were extroverted, and tbf that's where my experience is with them,

In this instance I would say suction method is best. What a stupid design by the oem

I heard the plug is recessed to prevent it being belted by speed bumps - whether that is true or not I don't know.
Anyway, with the DV6 if a quality oil has been used and together with a filter change every 10k or yearly it will be fine.
John :)

but with such low mileage, surely the oil is always clean and clear? Assuming you take it on journeys to get it properly hot?
No, lots of short journeys, often less than a mile! but on average may be 10 mile so 70% running at full temperature.

I heard the plug is recessed to prevent it being belted by speed bumps - whether that is true or not I don't know.
Anyway, with the DV6 if a quality oil has been used and together with a filter change every 10k or yearly it will be fine.
Never missed a annual oil and filter change and often only doing 4k in a year.

Ah that's strange, I know the older ones were extroverted, and tbf that's where my experience is with them,

In this instance I would say suction method is best. What a stupid design by the oem
It does seem particularly stupid that neither suction or drain removes all the old oil. Plenty modern cars come without sump plugs, but presumably their dipstick tubes are open ended and fit into the lowest part of the sump.

Some engines are just crap.

My brother had a fabia with a VW 1.9 SDI engine in it, 145k on the clock, ran perfectly. I asked him how often he changed the oil, he said 56k and 123k (because that was when the oil service light came on). I change mine every 6-8k but wonder if I'm wasting my time.

Many engines will go for many miles without the regular advised oil changes.....the sdi motor doesn’t have the most fragile and lube dependant items of all - the turbocharger. Because of this the engine is very sluggish but of course minimally stressed compared to high output units.
I’d advise you to carry on the way you are but unfortunately the cars value won’t change at all - but it will last a lot longer if it needs to. Sadly all of this is largely ignored by the motor trade!

The PSA 1.6hdi's are well known for destroying their turbos with lack of oil changes. They are small oil capacity engines and pollute the oil quickly. I change the oil in mine twice as frequently as recommended. It's so cheap to do yourself, the biggest pain being the removing the engine guard to get to the drain plug.

High performance modern engines are a little more demanding than old style non turbo stuff.

I had a wagon back in the 80s, it used to burn over a gallon of engine oil a week (1500 mile), used to just pour any oil into it, the cheaper the better. My theory was it was getting that much new oil there was no point changing it, fark knows what was going on inside that motor, it had over a million klicks on the clock, engine was still running when it failed its test and was scraped.

thinking back I was sometimes pouring used engine oil into cause it was free.

The PSA 1.6hdi's are well known for destroying their turbos with lack of oil changes. They are small oil capacity engines and pollute the oil quickly. I change the oil in mine twice as frequently as recommended. It's so cheap to do yourself, the biggest pain being the removing the engine guard to get to the drain plug.

One of my mates had a Focus with that engine, another with a C4.

Both suffered turbo failure due to a filter in the turbo oil supply line blocking up, would have been better not to have the filter in the first place!.

He scrapped the Focus and bought another car, the C4 is getting a new engine I believe (someone else with a proper ramp quote £200 to fit it so not worth messing about!).

Sponsored Links
Back