Immerser heater - how do I switch it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fuse for it on the consumer unit.

I have an immerser switch in the kitchen with red light indicating on/off.

I have a switch at the hot water tank itself which connects via cable to immerser at top of tank.

I have switched all of these to on, yet nothing.

I of course use the gas to heat the water, but I presume I should expect the immerser to work too.

Sponsored Links
I'd start by checking which if not both switches get power from the main fuse.
Then check the 13 amp fuse in the fcu.
and work your way to the immersion.

Does the one in the kitchen light when turned on ?

Could be on Econobmy 7 possibly, IE it only works at night??

If the water in the tank is already hot, ie from the boiler, then the imersion t/stat will not let the heating element on.

Sponsored Links
Or alternatively the immersion thermostat high-limit could have tripped out

Good points made by all.

The red light next to the immerser switch lights when switch is on. When I switch off the immerser switch (MCB?) in the consumer unit, this red light goes off.

I left it on all night and nothing happened.

muggles, how do I reset the thermostat, that is if it has tripped?

Resetting the stat.
Look on the stat where the arrow is pointing for the reset switch
could be white/black.
sdfwaf.jpg

On some others like the backer the overheat is seperate, it's the red button.
backer-backersafe-immersion-heater-2.jpg

Failing that check with a multi meter that the power is getting to the immersion.
If power is getting to the immersion check the element for resistance

Good points made by all.

The red light next to the immerser switch lights when switch is on. When I switch off the immerser switch (MCB?) in the consumer unit, this red light goes off.

I left it on all night and nothing happened.

muggles, how do I reset the thermostat, that is if it has tripped?

I guess your switching the 'gas' off and your trying to heat the water via the immersion?

So I'm guessing the hot water is cold at night and the immserion doesn't heat it up over night?

Here are photos of the unit:

I can't find a reset switch anywhere.

I used an ac voltmeter and can confirm that between the live (brown) and neutral (blue) I was getting 230V ac. The live wire goes into the blue thermostat device and has a white wire output, which I presume is the supplier of the current to the element. When the probes of the voltmeter were across the metal contacts of the white wire and the neutral it read 0V regardless of what value the thermostat was at via rotating with screwdriver.

So you have now proved the stats no good. (thats only a 7" stat should be 18")

Check the element for resistance. with mains power off.

Got it at 20ohms, had the pins of the ohmeter across the wrong bit of the element. I tried connecting the live wire directly to the element (bypassing thermostat) and the element heated up the water no probs.

So just replaced thermostat with one from B&Q and voila - it works perfectly !!!

Thank you so much to everyone in particular to "seco services" - you should charge money my friend :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back