Immersion heater hissing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler's just packed up and I'm having to use the immersion heater as a temporary measure. I've never used it before, so this might be a really silly question, but when I turn it on it makes quite a loud hissing noise. This stops when the tank gets up to temperature. Is this normal, or is this about to pack up too?

Sponsored Links
Its quite common but I would not describe it as "normal".

It usually occurs when the element is quite badly scaled up ( or even split ).

I recommend you get your boiler repaired fairly soon in case the immersion also fails.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. I'm having the boiler replaced for other reasons, and I'd booked the job 2 days before the old one packed up (first time it's gone wrong in 8 years). I've got 3 weeks to wait, so I don't really want to spend anything on the old boiler - just hope it doesn't get too much colder before then. We're in a really hard water area, so could well be scaled up. I think I'll take a risk and rely on it for another 3 weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back