Immersion heater with plug-in timer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we have our new boiler fitted (later this summer) we have been advised to use our immersion heater for a few days. Problem is that it's plugged into a 13amp socket in the airing cupboard and hardly ever used. Can I use a timer in there for a week or so or is that dangerous?
All the ones I've seen say not for immersion heaters but I reckon it will actually be timed on for about 4 hours each day.

Sponsored Links
You could consider just leaving it on. It will only heat the water when its temperature goes down. For one week it will be cheaper than buying, and perhaps installing a new timeswitch.

Sponsored Links
The trouble with plug in timers is that generally they are built to a price, and they are normally used to switch things like lights and other smallish loads, so the manufacturers get away with using cheaper lower rated parts.

If you plug in a heavy load such as immersion heater which can draw a large current for prolonged periods of time, there is a very good chance that the timer will either just fail, or there’s a chance it may go on fire.

As others have said, leaving it plugged in will be the cheapest option. Once your tank is up to temperature, the thermostat in the heating element will click off and stay off for many hours as the large mass of water in an insulated tank takes a very long time to actually cool down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back