Immersion Heating Problem

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I'm in the process of replacing my old fuse board with a Consumer Unit. It is in the planning stage

Recently, I found that the 20 amp fuse feeding the immersion heater was blown. I replaced the fuse with a new 20 amp. After a few days, this fuse also blew. When I removed the fuse, the body of the fuse brike apart.

Some months ago, the switch of rhe dual immersion heater jammed in the on position. I replaced the switch. Everything worked fine until the problem with the blown fuses occured.

Obviously the immersion is drawing too much currebt. What could the problem be?

At the time of replacing the switch, I checked the resistance of the elements and all seemed to be ok.

Any help would be most welcome.

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
When you say "THE switch of the dual immersion heater", is it just an ordinary on/off switch and do you mean you have two immersion heaters connected to this ONE switch?

The switch is a Bath?Sink changeover switch - only one element is on at any one time. .
Is it possible that there could be a short within the main element?

Thanks

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
I note Ireland, and one I am lead to understand your rules on working on electrics are stricter than UK, and also Ireland I think uses the Willis system not used in UK mainland.

I seem to remember in the main it works on time, the immersion heater is not in main tank but a small tank to the side, so trying to use mainland UK switches may be your problem and it is not a change over as expected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back