Impact moling new water supply pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Incase anyone decides to do this DIY I'll give you an idea of what's involved. It's pretty easy so I think you could DIY it.

First the equipment, compressor, hoses, oil pot, mole and launch gear.

You can mole about 10mtrs at a time, further in good ground, less in bad ground, so dig your 2 holes and plant the launch pad in one. If you moling near any services start near them so they are easier avoided:
IMG_6216.JPG

Then aim it, you will get a sight/scope to look through and a stick to look at. The stick is about 75mm longer than the sight so stick it 75mm into the bottom of your second hole. Then point the sight at the top of the stick, the bottom of the sight sits on the mole itself

IMG_6267.JPG

Then fire up the compressor, turn the handle and hope for the best

IMG_6233.JPG

If you miss your target you can reverse the mole, if you hit the target drop the pressure out and take the mole off.

IMG_6289.PNG

You then use a 'carrot' to screw into your new pipe, this attaches to the hydraulic hose that powered the mole

IMG_6218.JPG

Then simply pull the hose back, bring your new pipe into the hole and connect to whatever your connecting to or continue moling to more holes

IMG_6228.JPG

Sponsored Links
I have no idea but I will ask (y)

One thing I do know, the carat isn't hireable, so you have to buy that.

Oh god, can you imagine the carnage if some that ask on here attempt to do that? Smashed drains galore, lost moles, gas leaks.... They're ok until they hit something hard or a lump of rock, known them go off course then....

Even the Pro's can get it wrong. Used to be a firm from near Northampton, did a hell of a lot of work for Anglian Water in the 80's, new mains, connections etc. One job was laying a new water main at Corby, here whilst moling a section, it all went horribly wrong. The Mole went off course I think, smashed through a water main, promptly followed by a gas main.... This was at the top end of the town, by the time they'd realised what was happening, and got the water shut off, it was too late. Corby's gas network was flooded with thousands of gallons of water. (People had water pouring out their gas fires!)

Sorting the aftermath out took weeks. National Grid set up a large incident room to oversee the operation, engineers were drafted in from all over the UK if I remember correctly, such was the scale of the task. The gas network had to be accessed, the water pumped out, the pipework cleaned out, refilled and purged, bit by bit, street by street. Hundreds of people were unable to cook a meal in their own homes.

Finally, every single property with a gas supply had to be visited, checked and the gas supply reinstated. It cost an absolute fortune, the contractor involved never recovered from it. (Liability I think, was eventually decided by a Court.)

Sponsored Links
I have a mate who worked for EMGB.
Whilst under supervision from an engineer and after checking drawings for all services..They managed to put the Grundomat through a Telecom cable that was not supposed to be there !!
It cost thousands of ££££ per hour for damages.................This was 30 years ago.

Bloody hell!!! I'm glad I'm only in back gardens with that one :LOL::LOL:

I did have one go deeper than I aimed it and one stop on a high rock but nothing too bad, just an extra bit of digging.

Yes, I've seen plenty of those. I saw 2 gas pipes together through a drain once.

I can't recall where but an alert moling operator discovered an unknown cavity that would have become a sink hole. Alerted the authorities and prevented a disaster.

Ha ha!!! He does doesn't he, we was probably in shock from the cold after getting out of the digger :LOL::LOL:

IMG_6257.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back