Impact wrench or driver to change a wheel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently swap between summer and winter tyres and want to instead have two sets of wheels, so we just swap the wheels (common in many countries).

I'd be keen to do this myself but am not sure which tool I need (I don't want to do it all by hand every time)
I already have an impact driver (DeWalt) which claims to deliver 200Nm of torque, but would a impact wrench with 1/2" drive be better? I'm concerned I might trash my driver and be better with a dedicated tool.

Sponsored Links
Just use a breaker bar first, just to 'crack' them, then your impact driver will be fine to spin the nuts off.

On re-fitting, hand thread them first to avoid cross-threading, then impact driver, then breaker bar or torque wrench to tighten.

Excellent advice above.
I have a Hikoki (Hitachi) 1/2" impact driver....I don't have it's spec nearby but it's a 'good one' - 18v and cost a bomb.
Quite frankly I'm disappointed with it's ability to remove stubborn nuts but it still gets lots of use.
John :)

I was specifically hoping to avoid the bar - is that simply not realistic without buying a crazy pro grade gun? I'd not considered this so good to know in advance before I imagine F1 style changes

Sponsored Links
Wheel wrench bars are available cheaply from Halfords or whatever - they come with 4 nut sockets usually.
Mine lives in the door pocket, even though there is no spare wheel.
No DIY mechanic can do without a long breaker bar!

Excellent advice above.
I have a Hikoki (Hitachi) 1/2" impact driver....I don't have it's spec nearby but it's a 'good one' - 18v and cost a bomb.
Quite frankly I'm disappointed with it's ability to remove stubborn nuts but it still gets lots of use.
I had a 250nm one, forget what brand. It struggled with most wheel nuts, was a complete waste of time.

Current 1 is sealey 18v 450nm. Pretty good, but still has the occasional (usually a van) 1 that it wont remove. Its useful by the side of the road, but I would never be without my breaker bar. Thats only failed when the head broke, but I now always carry a spare head with me.

If you are going to buy an impact wrench buy the most powerful 1 you can afford. Or dont, and just keep the money.

I had a mate with a Mini who needed to change the wheel bearing, I kid you not he had a torque wrench with something like a 16ft scaffold pole on it, the scaffold pole bent, he ended up drilling the nut off.

You hear a lot of talk about the need for HD devices when removing wheel nuts, but the fact remains that IF the nuts were tightened to the correct torque in the first place the manuf. supplied wheel brace should be all that is needed.
Unfortunately, even in these days of heighten 'elf 'n safety too many tyre fitters rely on rattle guns with scant regard for the correct torque specified by the car manuf.
Like many I carry an extending brace (probably the model mentioned by Harry) just in case I have to change my own wheel, as opposed to letting the breakdown organisation earn it's membership fee.

Just use a breaker bar first, just to 'crack' them, then your impact driver will be fine to spin the nuts off.

On re-fitting, hand thread them first to avoid cross-threading, then impact driver, then breaker bar or torque wrench to tighten.
This is exactly what I do.
Takes 20 minutes to change the wheels.
Hardest part is to carry the jack from the shed to the driveway.

This is exactly what I do.
Takes 20 minutes to change the wheels.
Hardest part is to carry the jack from the shed to the driveway.
That's not so bad. I inherited a proper floor jack (not sure if ideally I need 2?)... I was mentally extrapolating how long it takes to change a flat at the side of the road in the dark, in the rain!

In the garage I have a spider, but to carry in the car the telescopic ones are very good, I have given a few as presents.

They used to come with a double ended socket giving two nut sizes, some now come with two, giving four. It is best to put on the socket so it fits the particular car, before stowing it in the boot, if your user may not know. And try to get them to practice on a warm, dry, sunny day. Instead of the first attempt being on a dark rainy night.

Is that legal John?

Andy
Just to head off topic, as usual........
I haven't been the victim of road rage, but a mate has.......
I don't know the full details but some dude (BMW driver) stopped my mate on a dual carriageway slip road, ran down to my mate carrying a large hammer o_O He was out of control, apparently.
If there's nutters like this around, maybe a metal bar in the door pocket may give you an edge?
Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Back