Imperial bleed pins/nipples

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a query if anyone can recommend a good source for what I assume will be an imperial thread bleed nipple.

The radiator is circa late 1970s and with this being the "bleed radiator" it seems the nipple has finally worn to the point that the bleed key does not grip it.

However, while ebay has a lot of options, it seems that getting the correct thread can often be a bit of a lottery.

I'm not sure I want to run the risk of removing this thing for a swap only to find the new one won't go in.

Any suggestions for a reputable source?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
no such thing

I appreciate that, hence I put the " ".

Having said that, the reason I call it such is that this is an old system, open vent etc. The first radiator in the run, being the bathroom is the only radiator that has ever needed bleeding in the 40 years this system has run.

Whether by chance or design or luck, any air in the central heating system always seems to present itself here. Hence the wear on this one bleed nipple/pip.

I will post a picture of the pip shortly.

So this is an end-on image of the bleed valve.

upload_2021-10-30_14-22-8.png

I did do a bit more digging as I assumed this would be a wider conundrum and I found this website with different types of radiators and pin options.

https://www.bleedscrews.co.uk/radiator-types/

On page 2 they have this:

upload_2021-10-30_14-23-57.png upload_2021-10-30_14-26-55.png

The third image in certainly looks like my radiator. There is only the single image of that as an example.

What do we think? Match?

Or are there any other sites/sources people know of?

Many Thanks

Last edited:
That rad looks like a stelrad super (not made since early 70s) or a myson either way over 40 years old . Really no way to know which air pip you need they came loose separate from rads and the merchants tended to mix and match!
Can only suggest you get a selection of different air pips.
But has as been said best option go mad and treat yourself to new radiator.

The existing system is not worthy for a new rad. There is a plan to re-do the whole system at some point soon....ish.

It's the more ideal solution. But..other than cosmetics, the radiator works fine.

I think I will have a go at a nipple swap if that website is in any way accurate, it may work.

Another option is to swap one from a rad that never needs bleeding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back