In Official Recognition of Soggy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the Admin at DIYNOT.COM should put up a sticky in recognition of the heroic actions of Soggy-Weetabix at a house fire in Leighton Buzzard.

I ask that all who think Sogs is a hero to just post a word on this thread

Sponsored Links
Well said conny.

I'm 'supposed to be' a bit of a hard case but my family and real friends know I'm as soft as. The lad did a VERY brave thing. It pains me to thing about the child (I have son not much older). It's just a terrible, terrible thing.

Anyway, well done conny, you're a good'un.

he 10times more of a man than i am he is a hero who done his best how many would try twice!!!

hows about telling us chaps who dont know what happened what happpend

:)

Sponsored Links
Jaysus

just read the other thread

Sogs god bless you man god bless you.

I can only hope that i the same circumstances I would react in such a brave and selfless way, somehow I feel i would come up wantinbg.

God rest that child and god rest you mate you are truly a man amongst men.

I am humbled

not meaning to be devils advocate here but, thinking back over what he said though, I think he might have been a bit foolhardy and not thinking straight.

while he did a brave thing, did it ever cross his mind what would have happened to his own daughter and presumably wife if he had been caught in it and unable to get out?

not meaning to be devils advocate here but, thinking back over what he said though, I think he might have been a bit foolhardy and not thinking straight.

while he did a brave thing, did it ever cross his mind what would have happened to his own daughter and presumably wife if he had been caught in it and unable to get out?

Simultaneously selfish and selfless? Think I'll just go for the selfless act of bravery myself that he performed.

Simultaneously selfish and selfless? Think I'll just go for the selfless act of bravery myself that he performed.

not once did I use the words selfish or selfless..

what he did was very brave, but if he had forethougt of mind to consider the consequenses if he himself became trapped in the fire, and the re-percussions that would have on his own family then he may have thought twice about what he did.

ColJack";p="1233041 said:
what he did was very brave, but if he had forethougt of mind to consider the consequenses if he himself became trapped in the fire, and the re-percussions that would have on his own family then he may have thought twice about what he did.

Funny how we all have 20/20 vision with hindsight! If people stopped to think about situations first, there would be no life savers/heroes.

A mate of mine died in Northern Ireland saving many lives, if he had stopped to think, he might be alive today but many others would be dead.

Thank God for heroes.

What is a hero?
What action does one take to become a hero? Who are these heroes that you hear everyone talk about, but never see? The word hero is passed around too much these days. A hero is not a football player that scores the game-winning touchdown or the goaltender who saves his team from a loss. A hero is usually an ordinary person that did extraordinary things. A true hero is really never a hero at all; at least not in their own mind.

True heroes do their stuff and get on with life, not post about it in an internet forum.

Fair enough if someone else on here had found out about it and posted a eulogy; less so when it comes to the attention of the forum users by a - somewhat obscure - post by said person in the first instance.

Which is not to detract from Soggy's actions on the day at all: total respect and hats off to you indeed for being brave/foolhardy enough to try.

I just wonder why you needed the backslapping,fawning and approbation from the users on here when you know you did all that you could? If you needed to talk about it, there are better places than here to do so.

I just wonder why you needed the backslapping,fawning and approbation from the users on here when you know you did all that you could? If you needed to talk about it, there are better places than here to do so.

We can't be sure of SW's motives - he may well have been offloading the distress of his failure to save a life to an relatively impartial audience and not looking for "backslapping etc". Although we're all relative strangers on here, the amount of time spent communicating, partly with each other, does make us a peer group of sorts , and we do seek reinforcement and clarification of our knowledge and understandingthrough this comradary (if this doesn't put it too strongly). If it has helped him deal with this (undeserved) guilt, then I can't see there's anything wrong with this - after all, noone has forced any of us to reply.

I think you may be judging him a little harshly.

Sponsored Links
Back