In response to Bernard Green

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of a single case of this either in Leeds or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm sure you will agree that it doesn't make a case for it not being common knowledge amongst druggies.

Do you install them?

Sponsored Links
I've never seen a druggie using a CB radio to disable an alarm while they burgle the house. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Don't they tend to lob a brick through your window or kick in a flimsy old door?

Do you have any evidence of this having actually ever happened?

Not that it has any relevence, but I only fit wired alarms. I expect that's probably just me being old fashioned.

round here, if a crackhead got his hands on a CB, he'd sell it. He probably wouldn't be able to use his fingers accurately enough to operate it when he was in need.

I've never seen a druggie using a CB radio to disable an alarm while they burgle the house. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Don't they tend to lob a brick through your window or kick in a flimsy old door?

Do you have any evidence of this having actually ever happened?

Not that it has any relevence, but I only fit wired alarms. I expect that's probably just me being old fashioned.

I know one a few cases where a CB was used to set off the alarms of houses. They kept doing it, so much so the alarm was switched off.

Wireless alarms are easy to get around if you know what you are doing.

[info removed by mods]

Why would Yale say their new system is encrypted? What would the advantage of that be?

"The wireless security system simply does not know anything has happened. There is just dead silence from all sensors within range. An intruder can simply walk right through a wireless security system as if it were not there. He will not even be slowed down. Secret codes and secret frequencies are irrelevant."

Interesting?

Sponsored Links
yes, it is.

You must have a much higher calibre of crackheads and opportunistic itinerants in your area than we get round here, if they go to the trouble of obtaining electronic equipment, and not losing or selling it.

How many occasions have you witnessed a Yale alarm, in an ordinary domestic house in an ordinary residential street, where intereference blocked the signal from a sensor?

Do, please tell us about your experiences of this.

In response to DPT and his common knowledge scaremongering.

I have installed over 3000 Yale alarms everywhere from Bell Isle , Middleton , Gipton , Halton Moor, Hunslet , Beeston , York Road , East End Park , Harehills etc etc to families whose budget will not stretch beyond a DIY alarm.

I am totally bemused by your statements because no one has ever contacted me within the last three years from any of those systems to complain about repeated false alarms causing them to disable the jamming detection.

This common knowledge you refer to is pretty pointless. Why would criminals with all due respect seek to waste their time burgling the homes of the people with the least to steal?
Burglars choose target homes because of their probable haul.

In any case statistics gained show that 85% of burglars would avoid a home with an alarm.

What you are suggesting is that burglars would actually spend the time hanging around an area repeatedly jamming an alarm which to do so they would have to be within 20m of the target property (even that claimed distance could be subject to operational constraints.) So they are going to do this for how long before the owner decides to disable the jamming . . . One hour? nope . . over the course of a few days? a few weeks? What if the owner doesn't realise jamming is causing the false alarms? and he does not disable the detection?

Why would they do that when they are in danger of being found going equiped? When it involves several opportunities to be recognised and spotted. When setting off the alarms in this way may even bring them into contact with the homeowners and neighbours.

The Police I have been told are getting in on this bandwagon about scaremongering but then the Police in Leeds have some very dubious connections with some Leeds alarm companies which will soon become common knowledge when a forthcoming government initiative is going to examine the relationship between the police and private companies. I know of one such inappropriate relationship so whatever Leeds Police say means absolutely nothing to me.

I dont know what YOUR angle is? Do you sell jammers? Are you a crackhead burglar? Do you work for a company fitting wired alarms?

repeatedly jamming an alarm which to do so they would have to be within 20m of the target property
Not if they have an illegal device with a 500 mW ERP and modified to transmit continuously.
So they are going to do this for how long before the owner decides to disable the jamming . . .
Or how many false alarms before the neighbours ignore the alarm or take steps to have it silenced.

The Police I have been told are getting in on this bandwagon about scaremongering
The police have access to experts in wireless communications and from these experts they learn the inherent weakness of wireless linked alarms. Hence they recognise that carrying a jammer is "going equiped".

You mention links between police and private companies, links that you consider to be dubious. Can you explain why you consider them to be be dubious.

JohnD said:
You must have a much higher calibre of crackheads and opportunistic itinerants in your area than we get round here, if they go to the trouble of obtaining electronic equipment, and not losing or selling it.
They are not the people to worry about when using an alarm as protection. The criminals to worry about are the ones who will invest in a jammer, dis-able or dis-credit a few wireless alarms and then burgle for high value items to be sold.

In stores in Leeds the Irony is that DIY alarm systems have been replaced on the shelves by empty boxes as the actual items were often shoplifted.

That does not seem to indicate the people in high crime areas having lost faith in the system does it?

DIY alarm systems have been replaced on the shelves by empty boxes as the actual items were often shoplifted.
and maybe the exit door scanners for security tags on the boxes have been nobbled.

That does not seem to indicate the people in high crime areas having lost faith in the system does it?
Or maybe it indicates they have greater faith in that anything can be sold to the un-informed for cash or via the internet.

How many occasions have you witnessed a Yale alarm, in an ordinary domestic house in an ordinary residential street, where intereference blocked the signal from a sensor?

Well go on, then.

yes, it is.

It only takes one to create a crime wave. Are you suggesting that drug addicts are the only people committing crime? Addicts account for a large portion of fraud using equipment fr more expensive than a jammer.

I don't need to witness anything, I've shown that it is very easy to do and within the scope of most people.

I'm a fully licensed amateur radio operator I can and have built jammers and experimented with them, it's what geeks like me do.

Wireless security is not secure.

I'm a fully licensed amateur radio operator I can and have built jammers and experimented with them, it's what geeks like me do.

full text was "How many occasions have you witnessed a Yale alarm, in an ordinary domestic house in an ordinary residential street, where intereference blocked the signal from a sensor?

Do, please tell us about your experiences of this."

So you have never witnessed a Yale alarm being blocked in that way, and have no experience of it.

You are making guesses about criminals who might try it.

Then you obviously are breaching the terms of your licence.
Would you wish to divulge your identity so I can report you?

In response to DPT and his common knowledge scaremongering.

I have installed over 3000 Yale alarms everywhere from Bell Isle , Middleton , Gipton , Halton Moor, Hunslet , Beeston , York Road , East End Park , Harehills etc etc to families whose budget will not stretch beyond a DIY alarm.

So it's you that's flooding the area with insecure systems? That equates to 3000 home owner who have a false sense of security.

I am totally bemused by your statements because no one has ever contacted me within the last three years from any of those systems to complain about repeated false alarms causing them to disable the jamming detection.

You would say that you are charging people to fit off the self DIY systems you can pick-up at B&Q. Or do you by in bulk from B&Q and stick your wedge on top?

This common knowledge you refer to is pretty pointless. Why would criminals with all due respect seek to waste their time burgling the homes of the people with the least to steal?
Burglars choose target homes because of their probable haul.

In any case statistics gained show that 85% of burglars would avoid a home with an alarm.

And what of the 25% are they targeting cheap wireless systems? And where are these stats from?

What you are suggesting is that burglars would actually spend the time hanging around an area repeatedly jamming an alarm which to do so they would have to be within 20m of the target property (even that claimed distance could be subject to operational constraints.) So they are going to do this for how long before the owner decides to disable the jamming . . . One hour? nope . . over the course of a few days? a few weeks? What if the owner doesn't realise jamming is causing the false alarms? and he does not disable the detection?

I suggested that it has been and can be done with a CB radio, the easy way would be to purchase a jammer and place it in the garden. Operating distance is restricted by RF out put, I made a 50w jammer that would take out any of your fitted systems within a mile or so, depending on buildings etc.

Why would they do that when they are in danger of being found going equiped? When it involves several opportunities to be recognised and spotted. When setting off the alarms in this way may even bring them into contact with the homeowners and neighbours.

I suppose is an occupational hazard for all burglars. I detect you don't know very much about jammers and wonder why you are fitting wireless DIY systems.

The Police I have been told are getting in on this bandwagon about scaremongering but then the Police in Leeds have some very dubious connections with some Leeds alarm companies which will soon become common knowledge when a forthcoming government initiative is going to examine the relationship between the police and private companies. I know of one such inappropriate relationship so whatever Leeds Police say means absolutely nothing to me.

Smacks of a person who fits DIY systems who has a bee in their bonnet.

I dont know what YOUR angle is? Do you sell jammers? Are you a crackhead burglar? Do you work for a company fitting wired alarms?

No I just find it an interesting subject, it's the radio geek in me.

Then you obviously are breaching the terms of your licence.
Would you wish to divulge your identity so I can report you?

Don't be silly I have breached nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back