In the market for new laser level

I've ordered a new bosch one with green beam..cheers everyone n thanks woody for spotting the bargain on amazon

Sponsored Links
...I really don't see any actual benefit over a long level and pencil. Its a bit of a gimmick IMO. By the time someone opens the case, extends the pole or tripod and sets the thing up and aligns it, I can whizz around with the level and mark some datums or plumb lines. And the accuracy is nowhere near what I can get with my level.
Firstly, I still own a rotary (a Leica) but as I no longer need to set out large areas, like sports halls, and I have never been a ground worker, it is pretty redundant these days. The case and tripod for that unit are simply huge. In any case for most of the work I do which needs to be done to a datum, there is a datum already on a wall for me, set by the site engineer or surveyor using a total station or at least a dumpy level

Pole? Tripod? Are you serious? Who the hell uses those on most jobs? Or maybe it's just the environments I work in. Ever heard of magnetic mounting? And as for "case", my laser is small enough to fit in a pocket or inside a foam insert in one of my Systainers. The fact is that you simply can't carry a 2m Stabila round as easily as a laser, especially when you need to climb 6 mill height floors with it like I do at times. As for getting on a bus of train or into a taxi with something that size? (try working in central London). BTW I'd love to see you take your datum line across a room with a level where there's an 8ft section of floor mIssing

As far as accuracy goes, it is relative - and I've worked with my fair share of trades (especially brickies for some reason) who think that a cheap, abused 3ft level with a bent bubble is as accurate as a well treated 6 footer. The same sort of guys sometimes can't read the bubble in any case (because the vial is carp, e.g. on Forge Steel levels). A level is only ever as accurate as its' user, I'm afraid, but the same is true of lasers

Firstly, I still own a rotary (a Leica) but as I no longer need to set out large areas, like sports halls, and I have never been a ground worker, it is pretty redundant these days. The case and tripod for that unit are simply huge. In any case for most of the work I do which needs to be done to a datum, there is a datum already on a wall for me, set by the site engineer or surveyor using a total station or at least a dumpy level

Pole? Tripod? Are you serious? Who the hell uses those on most jobs? Or maybe it's just the environments I work in. Ever heard of magnetic mounting? And as for "case", my laser is small enough to fit in a pocket or inside a foam insert in one of my Systainers. The fact is that you simply can't carry a 2m Stabila round as easily as a laser, especially when you need to climb 6 mill height floors with it like I do at times. BTW I'd love to see you take your datum line across a room with a level where there's an 8ft section of floor mIssing

As to accuracy, it is relative - I've worked with my fair share of trades (especially brickies for some reason) who think that a cheap, abused 3ft level with a bent bubble is as accurate as a well treated 6 footer, and who can't read the bubble in any case (sometimes because the vial is carp, e.g. on Forge Steel levels). A level is only ever as accurate as its' user, I'm afraid, but the same is true of lasers
It's all relative to what work you are doing.

Never mind the 'across the room with missing floor' scenario, I'd love to see you take your level around corners like my 2000BC water level can :p (how do you get across that room to mark the level anyway if the floor is missing?) :cautious:

And sometimes there is nothing magnetic in a room. No, make that more than sometimes.

As they say, the simplest method is always the best.

Sponsored Links
I'd love to see you take your level around corners like my 2000BC water level can :p
Still have my old Stanley water level "glasses" and a couple of length of hose. I did use it a couple of times on the current project.when it ess necessary to transfer levels where the engineer hadn't set out datuns and where there were obstructions (e.g. a 5 course thick brick wall). I have to admit that it hadn't been used for maybe 5 years prior to that, though

QUOTE="^woody^, post: 4910983, member: 37821"]...how do you get across that room to mark the level anyway if the floor is missing?) :cautious:[/quote]
Youngman board (with handrails, course)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back