In trouble with some painting/decorating in Derbyshire

Sponsored Links
How old is the house ? What colour is the Plaster on the walls ? Do you know what type of Eggshell that is on the walls ? "We have Dulux real life paint to go back on in a matt finish but thats 10x harder finish and scrubbable and we were going to put dulux trade paint as a base finish, then the dulux coloured paint... " Dont decide nothing with paints yet !

Sponsored Links
Seen the pics. Also when you say the paint started come off ! In what way did the paint come off. Was it peeling or just not great adhesion ?

I cannot understand why the Polyfilla did not dry, it normally dries quite quickly, is the wall damp?

Was it an oil based gloss paint that is peeling off. It was quite popular in hallways a few years ago.

If the walls were replastered recently, the plaster is presumably sound.

Rather than sanding lightly with a sander, I would consider rubbing it down with wet and dry paper, better still those foam pads covered on both sides with abrasive would be ideal for the job, when dampened, would make far less mess. These can be obtained quite cheaply at a discount warehouse in Hugglescote, which is quite near to you. Not sure if I can mention the name of the place here.

I would also think that the best paint for the job would be a good quality matt emulsion.

You could also get some good advice from the decorating adviser, in B & Q, there is a store in Ascot Drive, or in Loughborough.

Its very complicated "JulieG" cos your able to do skills may be limited and unfortunatly you may need to get a good tradsman in to fix it. The reason i suggest this is cos there seems to be many different situations that are on your walls. The problem is if you fill or plaster over loose paint etc then there is a chance one year later then the paint could blister or flake and resulting in taking off the new filler or plaster with it, if you see what i mean. If i were u i would get a plasterer in to make good the bad paint areas with plaster and then once dry paint them yourself.

Looking at the photos I'd say someone has done some DIY plastering with Polyfilla and then rubbed it smooth. The problem is that they've pained it with full thickness paint rather than a watered down mist-coat. So it's just sat on the white dust without soaking in.

If you can't get the stuff of then feather the edges with Polyfilla and then apply a couple of diluted mist-coats (25% water), which will then soak in and harden the existing powdery Pollyfilla.

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back