In what order to repaint/fill this stringer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a stringer that was all cracked and had a huge smear of dirty cailk down it. I cleared the caulk off and scraped out the gap, and filled the void with expanding foam so the plasterboard isn’t flexing any more. I was going to easifill the gap and then paint the stringer, but I’m not sure whether to prime/undercoat the top edge first (i scraped it right back because the paint was all loose.)
What order should I prime/paint and fill? Will I be able to get away without caulking or is this doomed to failure? The stringer is cut into the wall at some points so it could be tricky to fit a trim over it. i’m hoping the foam will stabilise it enough so it won’t crack

Attachments

• C93258B6-DA48-4C17-83FF-C3C2CEAF2238.jpeg
    C93258B6-DA48-4C17-83FF-C3C2CEAF2238.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 79
  • 99067D15-1006-4EA5-A988-0B8D25378FE5.jpeg
    99067D15-1006-4EA5-A988-0B8D25378FE5.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Just and idea... Perhaps a small section beading may be better bet you can glue or pin it onto the stringer, then just caulk along (if the wall is out) then paint.

Just and idea... Perhaps a small section beading may be better bet you can glue or pin it onto the stringer, then just caulk along (if the wall is out) then paint.
The problem is the width of the exposed stringer varies quite a lot, being from 0-15mm cut in to there being a 20mm gap to the wall (i will put some trim over the section with that large gap)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back